Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

slimy green algae!!!!!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    got some of this from some plant from teo's... at first i thought it was harmless so i left it in my tank... then now it has started to spread... removed as much as i could then it has started to spread again... what do i do? now therez even some stuck in my floating riccia! and i have to use it soon... is any algae removing powder will help? it also sinks so its forming a carpet on my gravel... i do frequent water changes so i don't have algae problems... but this shit is doing so well!!! fustrating!!!
    please help!!! thanks people!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not rubbing salt onto the wound, buttttttt... always wash clean plants u purchased b4 introducing them into yr tank... my advise is remove them manually.. cut the leaves or remove the entire stalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ryan,
    I suppose this is a new tank set up right? If so this is what we commonly call new tank set up algae. This slime algae are very contagious and deadly. But not to worry, with much care and time you will soon battle it out.[] How? you have to remove as much as possible with hose,hands,nets or anything possible. If they got coated with your river sand what you can do is to remove that portion (careful not to dig up base fertiliser, which will increase this algae growth) soak them in bleach and rinse them off. Add some chlorine neutraliser solution if worry it affect your fishes. After you think you have done enough of removing the algae including 50% water change. Off the light (if possible cover the entire tank to make complete black out) for not more than 3 days. Of course this will affect some plants but not to worry. Plants are but higher order of algae evolve over million of years. They should be able to withstand. Not to forget, algae are plants too they are just lower order plant form. So while you fight this algae war, you have to be careful not to destroy plants. I use this process before and it helps. Also cut back on your fertiliser. Dun disturbed your filter during this period!
    No algae eating agent can do this job because they are too tough and also smelly enough to turn you off
    So all the best to this war. "saving pte ryan isn't easy task"[]
    Above are just what it works for me you may want to get other opinion and later form your battle plan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alan, slime "algae" = blue-green "algae" = cyanobacteria. It is not an algae and definitely not a plant.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi CK,
    Arr...for this pls refer and check with Dupla. At least I know I got my info from their articles. It is written by this German guru, Kaspar Horst. Maybe you can complaint him if it is wrong in your opinion. As for me it make sense and I give that honour to what is publish to the public. Maybe you can do some reading of his book title " My first Aquarium" available at Aquatechnic. Some time you gotta invest in some books.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    depends on whether it's green slime or brown slime
    brown slime should be brown algae
    green slime is cyanobacteria
    the ambiguity is in the way ryan phrased it
    you're both right

what kind do you have, ryan?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    i had the bga and it spreads like slime.
    the bga was on a patch of gravel.
    what i did was use a black piece of plastic and cover them.
    left there for 2 days.
    at the same time i put 10 sae in.
    after 2 days i moved the plastic to another area having bga.
    the bga after being deprived of light turns brownish.
    the sae feasted on brownish bga.
    now my tank is bga free.
    also, need to change 40% water weekly.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow thanks guys... no the tnak is pretty old... say 7 months? added the plant which caused it lah... its green slime...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Otos are good BGA eaters. I added the otos and the next day all BGA were gone. You should get over this once you tank has settled... maybe than you will have to deal with green algae or BBA (black beard algae).

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/19/2002 12:30:02 PM

Otos are good BGA eaters. I added the otos and the next day all BGA were gone. You should get over this once you tank has settled... maybe than you will have to deal with green algae or BBA (black beard algae).

BC
    ----------------
    haiya we talking abt different things...