Images
    Country
    Singapore

What to feed an Anostomus ternetzi

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    have a cigarfish that does not show itself all day until lights out. It's been in the tank for over a week now, and I've never seen it eat. I know it prowls after the lights go out, but what does it eat? (besides possibly my shrimps).

Should I start to worry? Or should I be preparing some special meal for it? so far, frozen daphnia, bloodworms, mini sinking pellets, even live tubifex just don't tickle it's appetite.

What and how to feed?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hopefully he eats brush/bush algae in you tank. Otherwise, it eats anything. E.g. bloodworms, flakes, wafers. etc etc.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    Fresh lettuce sunken down with a paper clip. Mine loved it the first time i gave it to him
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had 4 in my arowana tank and I've never fed them specifically. There isn't enough leftovers from the arowana food to feed them either.

So, they eat some algae, tips of my E. tennelus and turn my Hygrophilia corymbosa "compact" leaves into skeletons.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:005957d727="vinz"]I had 4 in my arowana tank and I've never fed them specifically. There isn't enough leftovers from the arowana food to feed them either.

So, they eat some algae, tips of my E. tennelus and turn my Hygrophilia corymbosa "compact" leaves into skeletons.[/quote:005957d727]

Ah, that is a relief to hear. my fine leaved plants (Cabomba, tennelus) are like weeds, and having one fish that can help me do some pruning is good too. As long as it doesn't eat shrimps and other small fish, that's OK.

What's worrying me is seeing its fat tummy and not having seen it feed at all, tells me that it is indeed eating a bit too well...
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Togo
    dont worry your cigar will become more brave after awhile. mine used to only hide behind the pipes which i have at the corner of the tank and only comes out at night after lights are off. Now in bright daylight it comes out and even chiongs for the food with my espei. occationally like once a week i give it a small piece of lettuce, like 1" by 1" and it fires it up within 1 hr.
    Cheers
    Bryan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Brave? They are down right suicidal... I know at least 2 that bullies their arowana tankmate. One arowana is about 12", the other 18".

Ok, those 2 aside. I have 3 of them in another planted tank. They are all quite active and usually out and about. They chase each other a lot and the dominant one is usually in the open. The other 2 will sneak out too even though the dominant one will chase them on sight.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:9ad7c7ba8a="vinz"]Brave? They are down right suicidal... I know at least 2 that bullies their arowana tankmate. One arowana is about 12", the other 18".[/quote:9ad7c7ba8a]

Mine's the biggest creature in my tank of tetras and shrimps. Even the SAE look like a midget compared to it. If mine starts to become aggressive, I'll have to return him to the LFS.

I chose the less attractive A. ternetzi over the A. anostomus because it is reputed to be non-aggressive. Vinz are yours ternetzis?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee