Country
    Singapore

Yamato shrimp kamikaze?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi good people of AQ,

Just a question, are yamato shrimps so active that they are constantly moving around and climbing to the brim of the water line? my water conditions are good enough for my fire reds shrimps and they are doing fine, so cant be my water parameters but my yamato was crazy active, and by crazy i mean they graze around a lot and swimming here and there for new patches of algae to eat, and i found both of them on the floor this morning. My tank's water line is slightly less than a cm from the top edge of the tank, is it too high for yamato shrimps? or am i just unlucky? I have seen setups which have as high water line as mine and yamato shrimps inside though.

Thanks in advance!
    Dan.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Yamato shrimp kamikaze?

There is two things to note one is maybe your yamatos are from a very different environment when u bought them and maybe you did not drip long enough so when u release them in they may get 'shock' and you get this activeness

Second is maybe you got air pump bubbling and the shrimp flies out haha happen to my shrimp before

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xconnect. View Post
    There is two things to note one is maybe your yamatos are from a very different environment when u bought them and maybe you did not drip long enough so when u release them in they may get 'shock' and you get this activeness

Second is maybe you got air pump bubbling and the shrimp flies out haha happen to my shrimp before
    Hahaha possibly due to acclimatisation part but i acclimate the yamatos for more than an hour -.-
    And no i dont have air pump bubbling lol i hate air pump bubbling more than anything in the world of aquariums.
    Anyway thanks xconnect! Maybe nv gonna buy yamato shrimps again sigh. One effective algae cleaner off the list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sudden change of Water conditions and they will jump. Happened to me when I did water change without using anti chlorine stuff. Once I added seachem safe then it no longer happen to me.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_lancs View Post
    Sudden change of Water conditions and they will jump. Happened to me when I did water change without using anti chlorine stuff. Once I added seachem safe then it no longer happen to me.
    Ah so that really is the problem. Should have acclimate them longer, maybe use a drip method to really slowly ease them into the new water parameters. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had experienced this before when my tank was not fully cycled and i thought the perimeter was fine, threw in 2 bags of sakuras and 10 yamatos. Went out for a little while and found all yamatos on the floor crawling while sakura was peacefully inside the tank without casualties. So i went to try again and threw another 10 with the same result even knowing the water is not ready yet.

So i suggest to check your perimeter with kits to confirm if it's the same for you, as i normally do not even acclimatize my yamatos(not the norm but i classify them under super hardy shrimp thus save me the trouble), i just threw them straight in and they do their job immediately without any casualties.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by FabianLee View Post
    I had experienced this before when my tank was not fully cycled and i thought the perimeter was fine, threw in 2 bags of sakuras and 10 yamatos. Went out for a little while and found all yamatos on the floor crawling while sakura was peacefully inside the tank without casualties. So i went to try again and threw another 10 with the same result even knowing the water is not ready yet.

So i suggest to check your perimeter with kits to confirm if it's the same for you, as i normally do not even acclimatize my yamatos(not the norm but i classify them under super hardy shrimp thus save me the trouble), i just threw them straight in and they do their job immediately without any casualties.
    Ah yes i need those test kits. I just assumed my water parameters is okay since i dont have casualties due to it. I decided to use the slow drip method to acclimate tankmates now. Just put together some tubes and those metal valves for air pump.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another culprit here. My yamato just "commit suicide" by jumping out, too late to rescue when i saw it on the floor. Guess the water is not suitable for it thou my fish are fine. Thought yamatos are hardy shrimps.. 😕

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk