Images
    Country
    Singapore

Growing Egeria and Cabomba in High lighting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    These plants always grow sparse leaves and long stems in my high lighting tank while they grow nicely dense leaves after I trim them and chuck them into a low lighting bucket.

Any tips from the experts here on growing them in high lighting and achieving dense leaves?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nobody know how to grow them in high lighting tanks?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Egeria and Cabomba in High lighting

I always thought long stems and sparse leaves are due to low light condition! It also sound logical too! Beats me! Maybe that is why nobody can answer you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you try keeping them in a low light tank and then transfer them into the high light intensity tank? Since you say that it grow denser in low lighting tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:82456f8f4c="hirowen"]Have you try keeping them in a low light tank and then transfer them into the high light intensity tank? Since you say that it grow denser in low lighting tank.[/quote:82456f8f4c]

Haven't thought of it that way. Might as well give it a shot, although I don't see the logic of it continuing to grow densely when returned to high lighting.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Egeria and Cabomba in High lighting

[quote:7ea5376243="GaspingGurami"].. low lighting bucket.
    [/quote:7ea5376243]

What do you mean by "low lighting bucket". You put the bucket in the balcony or you light it up with a FL tube?

Somehow I feel that natural light is better. There must be something extra coming from sunlight that we cannot get from our FL or PL light.

I'm still as puzzled as you!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IME, lighting intensity, lighting colour, CO2 level & temperature have effect on how the plant grow.

Different plants also respond differently to each condition. Sometimes we just have to try-and-error.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i also do not think it possible for plant growth to vary inversely proportional to the intensity of light.

Even in my low ligh set up 2watts/gallon, as the cambomba approaches the top (higher intensity light) the internodal distance gets smaller.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What Lawrence experience is not only change in lights, but CO2 level too.

When I cut my CO2 off and lower the light level, the internode length shortened too.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6b1d7b1fd6="bclee"]What Lawrence experience is not only change in lights, but CO2 level too.

When I cut my CO2 off and lower the light level, the internode length shortened too.

BC[/quote:6b1d7b1fd6]

I also noticed that with the Cabomba, it grows light green leaves in my High lighting, CO2 enriched tank. Even with regular PMDD. But when moved to a low lighting, no fert, no CO2 basin, the leaves turn darker green and the internodal distance narrows.

I don't remember if the Elodea is the same, as I've given up growing them in my high lighting tank. Those long internodal distances make it look really bad.

Could it be due to a single nutrient shortage/blocked uptake?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bf0034ad36="gregorsamsa"]
    Even in my low ligh set up 2watts/gallon, as the cambomba approaches the top (higher intensity light) the internodal distance gets smaller.[/quote:bf0034ad36]

Have you tried growing the plant afloat? I noticed that for mine, even when it is growing afloat, with the whole length of its stem at the water surface, it still grows long between the nodes.

The internodal distances are initially shorter at the growing end, but as the plant continue to grow, this eventually lengthens.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mine indeed is grown floating. I place it near my nutrafin flipper. The internodal distances are very short such that the leaves have to make a cone shape. i have since pushed the cambomba down further. will keep you up dated if the vertical distance from the light source affects the internodal distance

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I haven't grown Cabomba in quite a well. Didn't know they have such interesting characteristics.

Lawrence:
    (1) Is your "low lighting bucket" having the same water height as the "high lighting tank"?
    (2) If you let a Cabomba grows near to the surface, the internodal distance reduces at first. If you don't trim it and let it grow across the water surface, will the same short internodes "extend"?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is a high lighting tank.

Cabomba grows dense for some, while two specific cabomba under each direct metal halide grew long stems and flowers and little T shaped leaves..... However all their colour is dark green though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember reading somewhere that Cabomba species will stay compact (rather than leggy) at lower temperatures (below 26C). High light (and high temperatures) would accelerate their growth unevenly. It's an interesting plant, popular with newcomers, shunned by "experts", but few actually grow it well..... might get a few to see how they do in CO2/non-CO2 tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c7a0813323="juggler"]Lawrence:
    (1) Is your "low lighting bucket" having the same water height as the "high lighting tank"?
    (2) If you let a Cabomba grows near to the surface, the internodal distance reduces at first. If you don't trim it and let it grow across the water surface, will the same short internodes "extend"?[/quote:c7a0813323]
    (1) Low lighting bucket has half the water depth compared to hi-lighting tank. Light to water distance is also double that of the hi-lighting tank.

(2) Yes, my internodal distance of Cabomba reduces as it nears the surface. However, when it starts to grow across the surface, those initially short internodes extend till they're long.

remember reading somewhere that Cabomba species will stay compact (rather than leggy) at lower temperatures (below 26C). High light (and high temperatures) would accelerate their growth unevenly.
    Budak have an interesting point here. My leggy Cabomba and Egeria grow in 29-30 deg waters. When moved to the lo-lighting bucket whose water is a cool 26-28 degrees, they tighten up their growth.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's warm, so they expand. When it's cold, they contract

I have grown Cabomba before, it was one of my beginner plants. I guess my tank had a temp of about 28 to 29 degrees, and the cabomba was still growing, but it wasn't so compact as before like you guys say.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    But what about other plants such as R macarandra / Stellata etc, the ones i see around have short internodal distances and nice thick stems, but when grown in mine (high light/optimum co2 ppm/ rich fert) it grows thin stemmed and long internodal distances.

This make the plants lose their beauty IMO, desperately trying to remedy this.

Any help?

Feedback Score
    From my observations, these are what i recorded:

Low lighting (below 22W for 2x1x1.5 tank), CO2 levels at 1bps and low liquid fertilizer: Cabomba grows "leggy-like" with wide leave spans and growth seems accelerated (probably to get more light)

High lighting (almost 36W same size tank), CO2 levels at 1 bps and also low liquid fertilizer dosage: Cabomba grows equally slow like before, with shorter segments. Plant remains light green, due to lack in fertilizer.

High lighting (above 40W same size tank), CO2 increase to 1.5 - 2 bps, and added some iron-based fertilizer 25ml: Cabomba grows bushier, more thicker leaves of shorter spans, still light green in color, and grew slightly faster.

In addition, cabomba gows rapidly with a spike in CO2 levels. One day, I accidentally let in more CO2 than usual, cardinals gasping for air near surface when I realised something was wrong, I noticed, the next day, that the Cabomba and Java Moss flourished.

Guess, a combination of high lighting, CO2 injection and fertilising is needed for better plant growth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I've told folks for years that low light will still gow plants very nicely.

Less light will slow gowth down and increase leaf area in many cases.

These two plants are faster gowing weeds as it is. We have miles of water ways with both of these weeds that I'm in charge of killing

If you provide the plants with non limiting conditions and rich CO2, nutrients etc, they will grow dense with many trimmings, but you will need to trim often.

Less light is better with these.
    You are all welcomed to bring any large container to CA, USA and remove as much of these as you desire.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast