Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What you don’t want to know about our tap water (but should)

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

What you don’t want to know about our tap water (but should)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I wonder if anyone has any feedback about this that they would like to share. After I found that I kept having the same algae problems that I did before, I decided to do a little more research when it comes to my increase in algae problems. Almost all of our tap water is treated to kill algae, the vast majority of municipal water treatment facilities will provide some sort of treatment. Our tap water may contain magnesium sulfate, nickel sulfate, potassium permanganate, chloramines, chlorine, iodine, and fluoride.

Most of these chemicals are used to treat "Biannual Turnover.” This is during the fall and spring when temperature changes. What it means is that the fluctuations in temperature cause the water at the bottom of our lakes to rise. This carries anaerobic material and silt into the water that is used by our municipal water treatment facilities. Most of these chemicals are very toxic to fish.

Despite the fact that a good portion of our municipal plumbing systems have been modernized, the majority still use lead pipes in-lines. This can create high-lead levels in our drinking water. Because of the immense cost associated with replacing ALL those pipes, they needed another solution. This led to the introduction of a phosphorus compound. This binds to the lead in the pipes and coats them so that lead does not get into our water.

Unfortunately, this had a number of different side effects. It led to high levels of phosphates in tap water. These phosphates in tap water are what cause to the rapid algae growth that most people have seen in the last few years. This means that whenever you are changing the water, you are actually adding even more phosphates to the aquarium each time. This leads to the frustrating task of having to clean your aquarium and then finding out that the algae can grow back almost immediately. I have found some good information about clearing my aquarium because I also know that using tap water is one of my only options (to keep costs down).

I have found some good suggestions that help me clear out a number of different algae. Does anyone else have any good suggestions on tips or suggestions that they could share?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What you don’t want to know about our tap water (but should)

In such cases, when tap water contains large amounts of metals and/or phosphates, one option is to age the water in a barrel, running a small pump for circulation. in the same barrel, place in activated carbon.

I believe activated carbon is a cheaper option short term. longer term wise, for phosphates you may want to consider phosphate media and a phosphate reactor.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

For anyone that is looking for the answer.... Check out this guide: http://homeaquaria.com/saltwater-alg...ltimate-guide/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by thebaldingaquarist View Post
    In such cases, when tap water contains large amounts of metals and/or phosphates, one option is to age the water in a barrel, running a small pump for circulation. in the same barrel, place in activated carbon.

I believe activated carbon is a cheaper option short term. longer term wise, for phosphates you may want to consider phosphate media and a phosphate reactor.
    Good one. Thanks for the tip!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing the information guys Cheers