Country
    Singapore

Shrimp Dies After Water Change

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

I have a 1 ft tank without a chiller, using fans, for my CRS. Today, I did a 20% water change, in attempt to reduce the gH. However, after I made the water change, I had 2 casualties (lucky they were't the 2 preggie females), and my water parameters are now between 0 - 0.25 (closer to 0), pH 6, gH 8 (they were surviving well in gH 10 before that). I would like to find out what could be the reason for my casualties. As this tank is a temporary tank, using only a cooling fan, water evaporates quite quickly. May I know how should I go about doing water changes to prevent any more casualties? Like keeping water overnight and what to use? I just bought Seachem Prime today!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Dies After Water Change

Did you drip the water in or you pour it in straight?
    You said GH was 10. And after water change is 8(still high) the shrimps might be in a shock when the GH falls. What soil are you using?
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ya, what soil are you using? I do very little water changes for crs. Maybe only 10% once a week or lesser, maybe also because I have a good number of plants in my tank. I top up evaporated water with aged water in stages, 500ml bottle I use over a few hours to top. It's tedious, especially after work on weekdays, but no choice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Starlett View Post
    Ya, what soil are you using? I do very little water changes for crs. Maybe only 10% once a week or lesser, maybe also because I have a good number of plants in my tank. I top up evaporated water with aged water in stages, 500ml bottle I use over a few hours to top. It's tedious, especially after work on weekdays, but no choice.
    Aquarist Chamber is selling a container with valve that allows dripping of water overtime. Have a design on the bottom for it to sit on the tank corner. Comes in 1l and 6l
    Recent studies shows that putting recent studies in your statement have a higher percentage of trust people put into your recent studies. What?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use Amazonia. I used to have a huge rock inside as I didn't realize that it will increase gH. It's a temporary tank as I'm currently cycling my other tank that has gH2. My water evaporates really fast as I am using cooling fan, so I always have to add in water. I usually just pour the water into my hang on filter slowly.

So it may be because I pour in my water too fast? How long do you guys condition the water with anti chlorine before adding in?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I suspect due to changes in our water supply, recently news did report that larger amount of new water channel in our reservoir, there is a few time when I do about 20% wc straight from tap water with seachem added into the tap water, I got a few fishes casualties, now I started to age my water before I do water change.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    I suspect due to changes in our water supply, recently news did report that larger amount of new water channel in our reservoir, there is a few time when I do about 20% wc straight from tap water with seachem added into the tap water, I got a few fishes casualties, now I started to age my water before I do water change.
    No wonder. That's why I always age my water at least 24 hours. I also had casualties when I did not age the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

But if you use tap or aged water, how do you handel the high gh n kh in our waters?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Test the GH and KH out of tap water. My area still measuring the same GH 4 and KH 2. Then test your tank water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The gH and kH of singapore tap water is pretty low. Around gH 4 and kH 2. However what cause the shrimp to die may not be this gH and kH value but the extra chlorine and chloramine that's has been added in our tap water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If I age my water, I don't have to drip in right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For sensitive shrimps, it is still best to drip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

these few days i also discovered i got a few medium sized shrimps die.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raeburter View Post
    If I age my water, I don't have to drip in right?
    Don't need to drip technically but try to stagger the timing when you top. Maybe every ten minutes or so you pour in some water.
    Try not to top in at one shot, especially for smaller tanks like 1 or 2 feet, as the change in parameters may be quite drastic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro, i used to have this issue too but there are several reason.. these are some that you may consider
    1. brand of the anti chlorine, i once bought wrongly for planted tank (silly me)
    2. water that you put in, are they aged? minimum of 2 days?
    3. changing of water should be around 10% to 15%, actually for CRS sometime 20% is too much