Country
    Singapore

aquarium in the balcony

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HI,
    I know that this sounds like a principle no-no, 'cos the direct sunlight and heat will lead to algae, ...
    But say, the tank is situated in the balcony without direct sunlight, fan to cool the water...
    Has any bro got any success or a controlled aquarium growing reasonably well with a tank placed in the balcony or outdoor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: aquarium in the balcony

I am into outdoor tank set up. No filter no pump. Just some ferns and plants and feeder fish. Experienced green water at first but after dosing some tetra green water solution and water changes the water is rather clear now. Never had much problems with it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If the tank height is high enough, would it minimize algae? Like you, am considering setting up a planted tank in my balcony. I used to have a low profile ( total height tank+stand only 2 feet+) 4footer with GF. The low height gets all the sun n therefore the algae. Am thinking of getting those normal height tanks (4 ft + stand plus tank height) which I hope will minimize algae growth. Not sure it work?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Adrian: how often do you have to change water for the outdoor tank? can you share a pix of it?
    Goalkeeper: I use the weed killer plastics sheet & car sunscreen from Daiso to keep the sun light out now for my tank beside the window. maybe you can try these also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Adrian: how often do you have to change water for the outdoor tank? can you share a pix of it?
    Goalkeeper: I use the weed killer plastics sheet & car sunscreen from Daiso to keep the sun light out now for my tank beside the window. maybe you can try these also.
    One month 3 times at most? For now I don't have a nice full shot of it yet. Will post it up soon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks angus.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Pardon my 'greenness' (pun not intended) in this topic, but according to the literature I have read so far, if water parameters are kept to the highest standard, i.e., low phosphate, algae should not be able to thrive, right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Pardon my 'greenness' (pun not intended) in this topic, but according to the literature I have read so far, if water parameters are kept to the highest standard, i.e., low phosphate, algae should not be able to thrive, right?
    True that. But our topic is on outdoors or balcony set up so it's rather difficult to really create the perfect condition. Indoors you can rely on filters and minimum lighting but outdoors for me I don't use any filter and pump and lighting is depending on the sunlight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe having minimal or no fauna might help? What are your plans?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe having minimal or no fauna might help? What are your plans?
    Haha I'm not the one setting up the tank though. I'm not the thread starter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

aquarium in the balcony

Just some shots of my outdoor tank to share.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Adrain View Post
    Haha I'm not the one setting up the tank though. I'm not the thread starter.

Oops. Pai say. I was referring to the thread-starter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Adrain View Post

So I guess there is no further lighting at night?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So I guess there is no further lighting at night?
    At night there's lighting at my corridor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

looks reasonably good. ultra low maintenance!
    One of the common problem/character of outdoor tanks seem to be some browning/burnt leaves coupled with uneven growth (like the fore ground creepers).
    I think the hyacinth probably helped to block the direct sun into the tank and at the same time soak up the extra nutrients quickly to prevent algae.
    Adrian: were the hyacinth growing fast and well all this time? are you able to control the plant growth somewhat or was it totally to the elements?
    I think the gourami looks perfectly at home hiding beneath the hyacinth roots and hunting for food on the surface!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

looks reasonably good. ultra low maintenance!
    One of the common problem/character of outdoor tanks seem to be some browning/burnt leaves coupled with uneven growth (like the fore ground creepers).
    I think the hyacinth probably helped to block the direct sun into the tank and at the same time soak up the extra nutrients quickly to prevent algae.
    Adrian: were the hyacinth growing fast and well all this time? are you able to control the plant growth somewhat or was it totally to the elements?
    I think the gourami looks perfectly at home hiding beneath the hyacinth roots and hunting for food on the surface!
    Yeap I couldn't really stop the plants from getting burnt out. The weather and the sunlight is too harsh. Yes the hyacinth grow rather fast. I just trimmed the roots and gave away some. It just blossomed recently but only lasted for a day. The next day the flower burnt out . Sad. I don't really control the plant growth. I just let things be. At most trimmings of the roots of the floaters and plucking out the burnt out leaves. Overall really really low maintainance, just that it tends to look messy after some time. But that's what makes it look natural and the fishes are happy.