Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: beginner 2ft planted tank. Advice needed!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

beginner 2ft planted tank. Advice needed!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tank Dimensions : 2 by 1 Feet

Lighting: 2 tubes of T5

Type of Filter : Ehiem 2213

Age of setup: 3 days since set up.

changed 20% water to reduce cloudiness from filling up the tank. Used dechlorination solution for water.

Plant list
    Staurogyne Repens
    Rotala Indica
    Reineckii Mini
    Nana
    Java moss

Fishes
    None at the moment

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at a planted tank. I'm currently facing some issues with the plants such as the repens and reineckii. As i intend for this tank to be a low tech tank, i did not use CO2. However, i got the repens and reineckii from a fellow forumer who did use co2. The plants are starting to melt away and lose their greenness. Firstly, i would like to know if it is possible for the plants in my tank to survive without Co2. Secondly, i need advise on what to do next. Should i trim the plants and just leave a short stem and let them regrow in my tank environment? Or should i let it be and continue to scoop out leaves the fall off and wait for a few more days? Or should i remove them and switch to other plants that stand a better chance without co2 if so please suggest species and where i can get them. I am fine with the plants growing slowly however i am not sure if the current situation will allow for them to grow or slowly wither away.

I also intend to use this tank a community tank for guppies and other fishes but i would want the tank parameters to stabilise before adding anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: beginner 2ft planted tank. Advice needed!

you have quite a bit of plants, i recommend some CO2 injection if you wish to grow the plants well.

cheers.
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@thebaldingaquarist hi. Will the plants survive without co2? I saw low tech tan's tank and it seem to be doing really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There is a chance that the plants might survive without CO2, but in my opinion its slim. especially the rotala and reineckii.

If you want, you can wait for a few days to see if the plants can adapt to the low CO2 environment. As of now, you have little of no CO2 contribution from the flora in the tank. i have "no co2" tanks myself. but i tend to only grow low CO2 requirement plants like java moss and ferns in them. they survive, but don't thrive.

If the tank is stable, you might want to add in some fauna. Some fauna like shrimps can help clear up dead leaves and at the same time, contribute a little bit of CO2 in the day time, when CO2 is scarce for the plants.

also try to reduce water surface agitation to reduce gaseous exchange at the water surface (prevent further CO2 loss). Might help in your cause.

Oh ya, i like the placement of the recineckii. Been looking for some myself

Hope it helps.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup for a first attempt .
    Grow some easy plants like water sprite , water wisteria or hygrophila species .
    They will grow like weeds in most condition .
    Use some liquid carbon like Seachem Excel if you don't inject co2 .
    Hope it helps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can "control" the intake requirements of your plants by reducing your lights output. Lower lights mean lower requirement for CO2 (and other nutrients for that matter). What some do is do a 4-2-4 hours siesta so that CO2 doesn't deplete quickly.

But that also depends if your plants can thrive under low light. Choose low light plants if you're planning to go the low-tech route.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Eric. Thanks for the advise. I will wait a few days and monitor the plant. Hopefully they will be able to adapt to a low co2 environment. As for shrimps i think i will only add them at a later time. I don't have a test kit but i doubt the water is stable as i only set it up a few days ago. The Ehiem 2213 is rather strong.. how can i reduce surface agitation? the underwater current is quite strong also. keep blowing at the plants. If you want the recineckii i can swap them with some easy plants that ichise suggested like water sprite etc. Better to give them a good environment then let die in mine.

@ichise Thank for the compliment. I am currently using EIHO plant carbo as a liquid carbon. Don't know if it is sufficient as there is quite a lot of plants. And the plants are not doing very well. Do you know where i can get the plants you suggested? water sprite looks quite nice. I don't mind giving it a shot.

@atolylica Thanks for the suggestion, i will do more research about that. Still rather clueless about planted tanks. I'll try reducing the lighting period first.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi George,

Just so you know, the liquid carbon is not a valid source of carbon. its used to supplement the CO2 intake of the plants. so if there is no CO2 in the water, there is nothing to supplement.

cheers,
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh i didn't know that. maybe i should add some fauna instead for co2. But changing to low requirement plants would be better right?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

to me, this is a hobby.
    So if its up to me, i would wait for tank to cycle, add in some algae crew and the fauna.

if the plants survive, post your results here and tell us how you did it.
    if not, post your results here then move on to more suitable plants.

Win-win situation, as a hobbyist i learn some.

Not sure if you share my views though. take it with a pinch of salt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks! yes i share your view. ill wait for the tank to cycle and add some algae crew. By the way how can i tell if the tank is cycled without a test kit?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

you want my method? haha

my poor man method...

look into the water and glass. water is clear and tank got algae.

smell the water. if it has faint nasty smell, then its not ready.

open your filter and inspect the media. if you see don't see brownstuff or clumps of bacteria or if its clean, then wait some more.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The plants are just adapting to the new environment, they will usually melt and shed their leaves (which were designed for high Co2/light environment) and then regrow new leaves to match the low Co2/light environment, So you'll probably have to trim and scoop dead leaves for a while before they recover and transition.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Haha. I like the poor man method. @urbanaquaria that's what I thought so. Scooping dead leaves is quite a hassle but it's no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro I use this method when keeping GF and works!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by thebaldingaquarist View Post
    There is a chance that the plants might survive without CO2, but in my opinion its slim. especially the rotala and reineckii.

If you want, you can wait for a few days to see if the plants can adapt to the low CO2 environment. As of now, you have little of no CO2 contribution from the flora in the tank. i have "no co2" tanks myself. but i tend to only grow low CO2 requirement plants like java moss and ferns in them. they survive, but don't thrive.

If the tank is stable, you might want to add in some fauna. Some fauna like shrimps can help clear up dead leaves and at the same time, contribute a little bit of CO2 in the day time, when CO2 is scarce for the plants.

also try to reduce water surface agitation to reduce gaseous exchange at the water surface (prevent further CO2 loss). Might help in your cause.

Oh ya, i like the placement of the recineckii. Been looking for some myself

Hope it helps.
    Eric
    bro on water agitation above does tis mean if we use overflow sump system, there will be more co2 loss? Water keep flowing iNto pipe n not sure tis constitute "gaseous exchange" u referring to? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Goalkeeper, you are right. That's why for planted tanks, the sump tank is designed differently from normal sump tank. The inlet is lower into the sump tank. That way water agitation is lowered. But.. All the sump planted tank users I know all use co2 injection. So agitation is not a top concern for them.

Sent from my 2013023 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro!