Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: To us anti chlorine or not to use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

To us anti chlorine or not to use.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Recently, I was told that for shrimp tank, anti chlorine cannot be used. Instead, age the tap water for at least 4 days before adding in the water.

how true is this in terms of
    1)no anti chlorine in shrimp tank?
    2)aerate the tap water and it is good enough?

kindly seeking for all advice!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: To us anti chlorine or not to use.

From my own experience, if you have plants during cycling, you need anti chlorine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-shrimp-setups

A very good read if you want to know more about CHLORAMINE in our water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by prunkster View Post
    Hi all,

Recently, I was told that for shrimp tank, anti chlorine cannot be used. Instead, age the tap water for at least 4 days before adding in the water.

how true is this in terms of
    1)no anti chlorine in shrimp tank?
    2)aerate the tap water and it is good enough?

kindly seeking for all advice!
    who ever told you that deserves to be spanked.

if you stay in Singapore and in our HDBs, you need to know that the tap water that comes to us differs slightly for each block. there are various reasons and i won't go through that.

that said, good anti chlorines don't only treat chlorine per se. look at the thread raised by Spid. good information there. In our water there are chloramines and other chlorine based compounds. some piping from older HDB may leak copper and other metals. Worse still when they are upgrading water pipes in our blocks.. sigh..

water treatment is to bind any heavy metals in the water, as well as treat the chlorine(s).

If i am wrong, please correct me...
    I am balding but i am still young!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In my case, whether i do water changes immediately or age the water for a few days, i still use the recommended dosage of de-chlorinator (Seachem Prime) to treat all my water... this is because i don't know the exact level of chlorine, chloramines, chemicals, metals etc in the water in any given day. Its sort of a "just in case" (aka "kiasu") practice for me.

So far i haven't encountered any issues with both RCS and CRS shrimps using de-chlorinator to treat the water (i follow the dosage instructions, at most just a little bit more, but never those 5-10x overdose type of treatments). Even when i'm in a rush and just do a quick 20% water change with freshly de-chlorinated water, the shrimps are still okay, no deaths.

I agree that our local tap water does differ from area to area though (even building to building), so its possible some people who use de-chlorinators or age and aerate their water for many ways still get shrimp deaths in their tanks after water change, then it could be their source water (maybe due to old pipes or additional chemicals in the water) that may be affecting the shrimps, or the shrimps are somehow more sensitive to the changes... in those situations, it may then be better to invest in a good R/O unit + re-balancing with beneficial minerals to stabilize the water source to your requirements.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I use the de chlorinator featured in this link: http://shrimpsonline.blogspot.sg/p/b...intenance.html

The brand is ocean-free and produced locally by Qian Hu. I got a bottle for only $0.80 at C328! Been using it for a few months and no deaths after water change in my PRL and PBL tanks.