Images
    Country
    Singapore

Java fern Windelov dying

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I need help with this. I purchased two clumps of Java Windelov planted on logs in June for my new 8 gallon setup . I had no problems back then. Only recently, about a month to 2 months ago, I noticed whole leaves turning brown and yellow, then dying completely. Currently close to half the clumps have died. What is this a symptom of?

I don't use CO2 or fertilizers for this tank, and I only turn on the light for a few hours, because it receives quite strong natural lighting. I have had no problem with normal var Java ferns in another tank next to this in an identical situation. I have had only very slight formation of brown strands of slimy algae on the leaves, apart from which, there has been no algae problem. I haven't completely stocked this tank, the is just 10 neon tetras and about 5 guppies.

I'm currently treating this with a daily addition of trace minerals, more frequent water changes and an increased duration of light. Is the Java Windelov more delicate than its natural var? The common opinion is that it is just as hardy.

Will appreciate any input on this problem. I'm pretty lousy with plants. Thanks!

Ed

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Java fern Windelov dying

If the tank gets strong natural lighting, I think you should add some periodic dose of NPK (in addition to the traces) to feed the plant..... or it will starve.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think temperature also plays a part. It may be getting too hot under the direct sun. How about adding some shade in the form of floating plants?

Even at Teo's Plant Farm, his Java Ferns, Anubias etc are cultivated under a shaded netting.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks