Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Shrimps brooding?

Feedback Score

Shrimps brooding?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey, this morning I woke up and inspected my tank. In a corner I saw one of my cherries and I realised there was a sac of orangey-yellow stuff cluttered in the waddling part of the shrimp. Are those eggs?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It sure is.

Happy breeding.

Feedback Score
    Well, 2 more cherry females are also getting fertile, cool! How long more, before they lay and fertilise the eggs and how long is the gestation period?

Also, I'm not sure whether there are any males in the community. How do I differentiate?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The males are the almost colourless ones. I don't know how long they take, but yellow eggs mean that they are due to hatch soon.

Feedback Score
    Rite, then there're definitely males in the community. I also have cardinals inside the tanks, would they feast on the microscopic shrimp fries?

Also, once the fries are big enough, how do I 'weed' them from the crowd?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4fa5840761="|squee|"]The males are the almost colourless ones. I don't know how long they take, but yellow eggs mean that they are due to hatch soon.[/quote:4fa5840761]

Do you mean that the not so red color cherry shrimp are male ones while the red ones are the female....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looking at the shrimps' coloration simply do not mean much although it has been said that females are more deeply colored. in order to identify the sexes of the shrimps, you look at their bottom. females tend to be more rounded at the legs part while the males are more streamlined. the rounder part of the females are used to carry the eggs.

gestation period: ~3weeks. Give birth to live small shrimps

Do have really thick clumps of mosses for the baby shrimps to reside in and take cover from the biggies swimming ard. food will be provided by the mosses itself. so dont worry much abt their diet.

just my $0.02
    Founder of theWaterBox

Feedback Score
    hmmm..... that's interesting. I've always thought that the redder ones would have been the males, since most males in the animal kingdom often use pigmentation or well-developed features to attract mates, guess it works the other way for shrimps ! Still, thanks for your enormous help guys, hope everything works out in due time.

In the mean time, I have plenty of driftwood with java moss on them and there are also cavaties in them to provide ample shelters, I hope . The larger occupants, like my betta and pleco, will be isolated in another tank, lest they get tempted, and the cardinals are too small to feed on the critters.

Currently, I'm also giving up my Amazon Swordplants and Green Cabomba to male room for a future Echindorous Tenellus lawn. Any takers?

Cheers and take care, will try to update.

Feedback Score
    Man, I managed to spot 4-5 cherries that are around 4mm in size. Think these are the surviving ones. Anyway, the adults are fertile again, nice.....