Country
    Singapore

Amano Shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,

I would like to enquire if anyone knows where I can get Amano shrimps?

I read that they are more efficient in clearing off algae as compared to cherry shrimps. When I head down to the other LFS, what do I request for?

Do they have other abbreviations? Whenever I head down to the local LFS, they don't really know what it is. Are the shrimps sold in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Amano Shrimps

Amano/yamato, seaview has it yesterday. Either M or xl size
    Last edited by milk_vanilla; 17th Jun 2014 at 19:46. Reason: test

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Amano Shrimps

Y934 Aqua Star Trading.....they have all kind of size of shrimps there
    $1 for 1. $8 for 10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I've encountered the same before. Apparently the LFS owners know them as Yamato shrimps. Same shrimp but just different name, still the awesome algae shrimp crew that we know

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah. I need to acquire some to pick off the algae from my mini fissidens. My mini fissidens are turning black or brown instead of greenish colour.

I heard about the amano's expertise and I hope they are able to keep my fissidens spotlessly clean. Do they have the problem of uprooting plants?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fissidens shouldn't be a problem, I keep fissidens and HC as my foreground plants, my shrimps(Yamato and RCS) periodically uproot my HC (small clumps) but so far, all fissidens are still intact, their roots are pretty strong as they cling tightly to the hardscape/soil granules, preventing them from getting dislodged and float around.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For established plants, they are generally safe from being uprooted by amano shrimps... though due to the size of those shrimps, they do have a higher tendency to uproot newly added plants (compared to the smaller cherry shrimps).

The only disadvantage with them is their large size tends to make a tank or aquascape look smaller, and they are not as colorful as RCS and CRS, otherwise they are great algae eaters.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What about the red nosed shrimps that everyone seems to be talking about now. I havent seen them in lfs yet and I still wonder what they look like

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The name Yamato Shrimps is more commonly used in Singapore. As the shrimps were used by Mr Amano from Japan when he discovered them as good algae eaters and subsequently promote them to the world, thus some of the aquarists called them Amano Shrimps. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Look for Yamato Shrimps in Singapore. Same species. Some Yamato shrimps can be quite huge.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I saw in the forums and internet that some aquarists use both Yamato/Amano Shrimps and Otos in their setup. Cause Yamato shrimps do not eat all types of algae, as what i seen in the internet posts. Otos are also shrimp/shrimplets friendly. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, Otos are good algae eaters as well. And they are shrimp friendly. It's good to mix up both Yamato Shrimp and Otos in the tank

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    What about the red nosed shrimps that everyone seems to be talking about now. I havent seen them in lfs yet and I still wonder what they look like
    Those are good algae eaters too, they are basically mostly transparent and have a long reddish rostrum (where they get their trade name from). They grow to abit longer than RCS or CRS, but definitely not as large as yamato shrimps.

Here is a photo of it from google images:

They pop up on sale at the various popular LFS quite regularly so just have to shop around to find them.

I kept a few of them before and they can co-exist well in a community tank, but they can't breed in freshwater (like yamato shrimps, the larvae need brackish water to develop) so the group's population naturally gradually decreased over time. Just have to buy replacements if you plan to use those shrimps as algae management crew.

I've heard from some friends that these shrimps munched on their healthy fine leaved plants until only left the stems remaining though, but i haven't personally experience that issue so far (probably because i only have a small number of them, so any plant eating issues aren't so apparent, since i regularly trim away excess plants anyways).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hello all,

I just bought a packet of amano shrimps from Seaview. Anyone of you guys experience them jumping out of the tank and surviving for long periods without water?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasliao View Post
    Hello all,

I just bought a packet of amano shrimps from Seaview. Anyone of you guys experience them jumping out of the tank and surviving for long periods without water?
    Yes, for amano shrimps their larger size gives them the extra strength to jump or climb further out of a tank. They can also walk around out of water for a while too, though they will still dry out quickly if not returned back to the water in time.

I've found dried up amano shrimps a few meters away from the tank before... have to always watch where i step.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Bro Nicholas. .confirmed and personal sighting at fishy business and c328 for yamato/amano

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks solidbrik. I went to seaview yesterday to get 10 of them. No red nosed shrimps at seaview though. Bought 4 otos from seaview yesterday as well.

Casualties as of today of livestock from seaview:

4 otos dead
    6 amano committed suicide

Feedback Score

I'm drip acclimatising my 'fire reds'..fingers crossed..1 of my yamato from fishy business committed suicide too..think it swam into my skimmer and got sucked in..found it in the filter after a looooong SIR mission..lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk