Country
    Singapore

First Tank [pics intensive]

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

This is my journal of my first tank as an adult. I used to have a tank when i was a kiddo around 25 years ago, but my fishes died easily and i never understood why. None of my parents and relatives were into fishkeeping, so no one was able to give me an answer.

Nowadays, with so much information flowing through the internet, things are really different. Lots of information at my fingertips, but at the same time, too much. Had to filter out lots of wrong information and sieve through lots of things to find the details of what i wanted to know.

After reading all over the place, I found aquaticquotient, I always found reading on forums gives me the best information because all of you old birds already helped to debunk wrong information. Thank you for that. And I wanted to start slow, so finding the marketplace here to buy some 2nd hand stuff was really great too. Although I ended up buying lots more from C328 & Polyart...

Specs-
    Tank: 1.5ft, gotten second hand from a bro here.
    Filter: Eheim 2213
    CO2: Pressurized 2L tank with ANS optic glass nano diffuser
    Substrate: ADA Amazonia
    Lights: some random T5HO lighting that the LFS boss took for me.
    Flora: Glosso, baby tears, christmas moss, the rest don't know... Just buy when I felt it would match my scape.
    Fauna: 8 Guppies, 2 Cory, 2 Oto, 10 cherry reds, 1 ramshorn

Next target: LED lights, glass lily pipes and another shrimp only tank.

Setting up. Honestly, I was going for a field of lush green grass and a small stone path beside a tree, but I didn't know how to tie moss to a dw so I bought this ready made piece.

Introduced guppies & cherry red shrimps into the tank after "cycling". I did not buy the master test kit because it was so expensive, instead I bought the stick-on card indicator by Seachem that showed pH & ammonia levels. When I saw both were at acceptable levels,I took it to mean that it was cycled.

Some close up shots

3 weeks later. Got itchy hand syndrome. Felt the scape was quite bare, so added christmas moss tied to rocks to the background and stem plants to the middleground for more hiding places for the shrimps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First Tank [pics intensive]

That's a really beautiful start! Red guppies and shrimps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

your inlet pipe can run opposite if you want , look quite low from the pictures and careful shrimplets might get suck in

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What is the plant ID attach to a driftwood or rock at the white gravel ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bangwalldie, it's cyperus haspan. Bought at c328.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

bro that plant cannot survive underwater for long. even if it does, the orginal under water will rot away and it will send shoots to the surface to grow

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tatguy, i didn't know that. So should I remove it from the tank? I saw UA's outdoor pond, and he had them underwater too, and like you said, the shoots came out of the water surface. So i thought it was ok for the tank. It's been around 2 weeks, I have yet to see any signs of shoots growing upwards.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you should remove it if you are not confident.

the way it might grow is, those current "leaves" will rot away while new needle like shoots will try to sprout to the surface.
    when it reaches the surface, those shoots will become mini version of what you have now.

but chances are it might rot away before any growth happens if you are not careful, especially in new unstable tanks.

and it would not look like what you have now, just long stalks with the plant leaves above water after it grows.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sounds like a very interesting plant! Does it also mean need a strong surface flow once they reach the surface?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

nope, it is originally a marsh plant, naturally most of it is on land, sometimes partially underwater with the leaves on the surface. in muddy areas, near water sides, not much flow is needed. very similar to bro UA's outdoor tank conditions