1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Using pot dirt instead of aquatic substrates

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What would be a good substrate to use? Would pot dirt be good for planted tank? How long does the dirt settle down upon flooding the tank?
    Would anyone with experience with this please enlighten me? Thank you

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Using pot dirt instead of aquatic substrates

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...902#post774902

Here you go I've tried these two brands and they work fine. Just don't use in excess, else you might risk making the soil Anaerobic. Generally as how you might experience mixing soil with water, it will turn the water into a "brown soup". Dirting a tank is best capped with aquarium gravel or inert substrate of your choice, as long it's not too coarse (e.g. using large pebbles etc)

A rule of thumb, planting is best done before filling up the tank with water. Upon completion of the planting process, place a piece of plastic sheet over the scape and slowly pour the water until the tank is full

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by diazman View Post
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...902#post774902

Here you go I've tried these two brands and they work fine. Just don't use in excess, else you might risk making the soil Anaerobic. Generally as how you might experience mixing soil with water, it will turn the water into a "brown soup". Dirting a tank is best capped with aquarium gravel or inert substrate of your choice, as long it's not too coarse (e.g. using large pebbles etc)

A rule of thumb, planting is best done before filling up the tank with water. Upon completion of the planting process, place a piece of plastic sheet over the scape and slowly pour the water until the tank is full
    So using another substrate to prevent the dirt from moving around ? Would aquarium soil do the job well?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can't go wrong with ADA Aquasoil.
    Now available at all LFS near you~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Look for pond soil at the plant nurseries. These are usually concocted to make sure its safe for your fishes and other aquatic livestock and also low on Nitrogen.

I used J. Arthur Bowers Pond Compost (its a soil, although they call it compost), usually available at the Far East Nurseries and Goodwood Nurseries at Thomson Road.

If you use soil, put a 1 inch layer of gravel on top of it to prevent the soil form dirtying the water.

See this thread too: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...quatic-Compost
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Elemistic View Post
    So using another substrate to prevent the dirt from moving around ? Would aquarium soil do the job well?
    Usually capping the soil with gravel. Just like Vinz mentioned, by doing so, it prevents the soil from getting disturbed. Remember when dealing with soil, its a try and error method It took me quite a while until I could balance the tank's parameter (as i used a small tank). You can read up on Diana Walstad's method for inspiration Though, when in doubt, you could just fall back to the commercially available soil substrates. Easier and less messier to handle

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Elemistic View Post
    What would be a good substrate to use? Would pot dirt be good for planted tank? How long does the dirt settle down upon flooding the tank?
    Would anyone with experience with this please enlighten me? Thank you
    Just wondering, is there any particular reason why you are considering the use of pot/gardening dirt for your planted tank? Is it due to budget or are you looking more to experiment with it?
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com