Country
    Singapore

Advice for lighting duration

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I have a 28L tank, supplying Diy Co2 and weekly dosing of seachem flourish during water change.
    I just got myself a Up Aqua Led Pro Z-10 (for 30 cm tank).

I just got glosso today too. The other flora i have are amazon swords in the background (i think so) and "unknown".

How long should i keep my lighting period for and should i split my lighting period to have a break in between?

Appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Advice for lighting duration

6 hours would be a good start, then gradually increase to 7-8 hours once the plants fill in.

No need for any split lighting period since you already have some form of Co2 injection... but do ensure that the DIY Co2 supply is consistent and the Co2 levels are at optimal 30-35ppm range when the lights are on (use a drop checker to monitor it).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    6 hours would be a good start, then gradually increase to 7-8 hours once the plants fill in.

No need for any split lighting period since you already have some form of Co2 injection... but do ensure that the DIY Co2 supply is consistent and the Co2 levels are at optimal 30-35ppm range when the lights are on (use a drop checker to monitor it).
    Thanks for the advice.
    I would like to view my aquarium in the night.
    Hence if i were to set my timer 3pm-9pm, would the plants photosynthesis after evening hours?
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sbladerz View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    I would like to view my aquarium in the night.
    Hence if i were to set my timer 3pm-9pm, would the plants photosynthesis after evening hours?
    Thanks!
    Yes, you can time the photoperiod to that schedule too, the plants will photosynthesize according to the light availability.

To keep the light schedule balanced, try to make sure the tank doesn't get additional sunlight or strong ambient light shining on it in the morning and noon periods, or else the total accumulated light period could end up too long.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, you can time the photoperiod to that schedule too, the plants will photosynthesize according to the light availability.

To keep the light schedule balanced, try to make sure the tank doesn't get additional sunlight or strong ambient light shining on it in the morning and noon periods, or else the total accumulated light period could end up too long.
    Thanks alot Urban Aquaria.

Correct me if i am wrong. The reason why I should not extend the lighting period beyond 7-8 hours for now is because my plants have yet to fill in and increased lighting would only encourage algae growth?
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sbladerz View Post
    Thanks alot Urban Aquaria.

Correct me if i am wrong. The reason why I should not extend the lighting period beyond 7-8 hours for now is because my plants have yet to fill in and increased lighting would only encourage algae growth?
    Thanks!
    Yeah, due to the relatively sparse plant density in newly planted tanks, most of the lights end up shining on empty spaces and since there aren't enough plants to use the lights, nutrient take up is low... combine excess light with fluctuating parameters and excess nutrients, its a nice environment for algae to take over.

A shorter photoperiod at the start up stage helps to slow down algae growth while giving the plants a chance to grow in and the parameters to become more stable.

Alternatively, the other method is to crank up the Co2 injection (if there are no livestock to worry about) and then increase the photoperiod and fert dosing accordingly to "turbo" boost the plant growth, but that only works if the tank is planted very densely from the start (every square inch of the substrate is covered in plants) so that there is enough initial plant mass to take advantage of the lights and outcompete algae.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, due to the relatively sparse plant density in newly planted tanks, most of the lights end up shining on empty spaces and since there aren't enough plants to use the lights, nutrient take up is low... combine excess light with fluctuating parameters and excess nutrients, its a nice environment for algae to take over.

A shorter photoperiod at the start up stage helps to slow down algae growth while giving the plants a chance to grow in and the parameters to become more stable.

Alternatively, the other method is to crank up the Co2 injection (if there are no livestock to worry about) and then increase the photoperiod and fert dosing accordingly to "turbo" boost the plant growth, but that only works if the tank is planted very densely from the start (every square inch of the substrate is covered in plants) so that there is enough initial plant mass to take advantage of the lights and outcompete algae.
    Wow, thanks for the explanation. It really do clear up my doubts!
    There are so much to learn about fish keeping and all.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro UA. On CO2 I currently set it about 1 bps for my 3 feet tank which is planted with quite a lot of plants. Is this sufficient or too much? I have tetras and shrimps in it and therefore didn't increase the dosage which I was planning earlier. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro sbladerz, nice setup...like those broad leave plants in the background.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Hi bro UA. On CO2 I currently set it about 1 bps for my 3 feet tank which is planted with quite a lot of plants. Is this sufficient or too much? I have tetras and shrimps in it and therefore didn't increase the dosage which I was planning earlier. Thanks.
    Well, the bps injection rate only serves as a reference point for your own Co2 setup, it doesn't necessarily correspond to the amount of actual Co2 dissolved in your tank... the bps rate required to achieve optimal Co2 levels in each tank is different as it depends on factors like the tank volume, diffuser efficiency, bubble counter design, injection timing, plant uptake etc.

You'll need to use a drop checker to monitor the actual Co2 levels in your tank. The bps rate and injection timing schedule will need to be tuned until you can maintain a consistent green color in the indicator solution during the lights on period (which means the Co2 levels are at the ideal 30-35ppm range for optimal plant growth and yet still safe for livestock).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro sbladerz, nice setup...like those broad leave plants in the background.
    Thanks alot! Would love to see your setup too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you bro UA. Yup do have a CO2 indicator and it's green during light on periods.

Bro sbladerz, attached latest pic of my tank here. Just added tetras yesterday after water testing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you bro UA. Yup do have a CO2 indicator and it's green during light on periods.

Bro sbladerz, attached latest pic of my tank here. Just added tetras yesterday after water testing.
    That's a very nice thank have got! Such a big tank. I'm looking at it enviously.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you. Originally bought a 2 footer but before the planting starts, decide to use a bigger one. This is the only tank I have now. My two 4x2.5x2 footers and the 2 feet all sold!