Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Please help to ID fish and shrimp

Dear all have google can't seem to find much info. Please kindly help to identify them. Bought them because algae boom in tank. Fish are In the tank, done and impressive cleaning up the glass surface and boundary of the substrate. They seem to leave out the hair grass and rocks. So went to bought some shrimps. I am worried that the two fish will eat up the shrimps. Please help. The shrimps are quite effective with hair algae. Just tested while trying to introducing them into the tank. Still quarantine on drips. I was cleaning up the algae a bit pluck some and left it in the drip bowl, they finished all of it. Interestingly one of them are with eggs. Any expert here to help the mummy to be? Shop lady very kind.Bought five, gave me six. Five adult (one with eggs) an one kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The fishes should be hillstream loaches, and the shrimps should be amano/yamato shrimps.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This fishes are harmless to shrimps but I'm not sure if they would snack on the babies. They are algae eaters so there should be a good supply of algae for them and just leave the shrimp inthe tank with some plant cover. So once the shrimplets are born, they could hide inthe plants for cover. I'm not an expert, just sharing my knowledge.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Btw, if those shrimps are amano/yamato shrimps, their eggs hatch into larve which need brackish conditions to develop, so in a freshwater tank they wouldn't be able to multiply.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 24th Jun 2014 at 03:24.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

one more question when conditions are right does amano shrimps turn pinkish red?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bangwalldie thank you for the insights.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seihakou View Post
    one more question when conditions are right does amano shrimps turn pinkish red?
    The color tint depends on the individual shrimp, the ones i have exhibit color tints at different times, its not a permanent thing. I guess it could be a combination of their diet and perhaps their mood? Usually they will show some color tint after they are settled well in a tank.

Its also easy to observe the color of the most recent food they ate in their gut, which can sometimes influence their tint too, since they are relatively transparent anyways.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks UA found out more info. Especially the hillstream loaches. After much reading, then started to understand why they perish so easily in tanks not set up for their specific needs. Thank you for giving me the key words.