Country
    Singapore

Re: acclimatising E. oriental for emmersed growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    [quote:4b51d5940d="GaspingGurami"]Dear lorba,

forgive me for this unsolicited PM. I noticed that you submitted a picture of Echinodorus oriental growing emersed, in the flora album, and I needed help in growing that.

I have been trying to get my oriental plantlet to grow emersed, but so far, I have been unsuccessful. The leaves have dried up, but anything that is wet with water (main stem and roots) are still green and looks alive.

Would you mind sharing how you converted your plant to grow in dry soil? I noticed that in your picture, the plant is growing in potting earth, and it looks dry. Did your plant have to go through a transition period of only having its roots immersed before transplanting to this soil?

I have tried to grow mine in a take-away tub of gravel and potting soil mix, and I filled with water up to the level of the gravel. I used to have a plastic cover over the tub to maintain humidity, but the plant did not grow, so I removed the cover and soon, all the leaves dried up I have placed my tub on the corridor, in the shade of the parapet, and daily, I drop in a couple of drops of water to ensure the gravel doesn't dry up.

What should I do? Your reply will be greatly appreciated[/quote:4b51d5940d]

[quote:4b51d5940d="lorba"]hi Lawrence,

converting the plant is simply, just need some patience.

If you are using plantlet, leave it in shallow tub of water for a few days and it will put out roots.

Pot it in non fertilized garden soil or coco peat and put it in a covered cylinder or container with water. This keeps the container moist. Put this near the window without direct sunlight.

Wait for 2 - 3 weeks until u see 2 - 3 new leaves. Slowly widen the gap between the cover and the container for the plant to get use to drier air. This process should take about 2 weeks. In the process, you will be shifting the plant out of the container to some shaded, windless corner from inhouse to corridor and finally bath it in full sun.

It should be not be exposed to full sun for long hrs in the beginning.

Quite simple but very manual. Follow this with some buffering steps if you have only one precious plantlet to try.[/quote:4b51d5940d]

Hi Roland,

When you said
    Pot it in non fertilized garden soil or coco peat and put it in a covered cylinder or container with water.
    am I correct to think that the plant can be planted into a normal flower pot, with drainage holes at the bottom, then this whole pot is placed into a pail with a cover, and a cup of water is also placed in the pail together with the pot to keep the humidity in the pail high.

How wet do you keep your soil at? I mean how often do you have to water the plant initially?

Does this method also work with immersed leaves (meaning the plant's leaves are the longer type) I ask this because your instruction is to immerse the plantlet in order to grow some roots. This plantlet I would assume have been growing Emmersed, since it has no roots.

You mentioned buffering steps which I don't quite understand. Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    m I correct to think that the plant can be planted into a normal flower pot, with drainage holes at the bottom, then this whole pot is placed into a pail with a cover, and a cup of water is also placed in the pail together with the pot to keep the humidity in the pail high.
    The pail or whichever container, is transparent for light to penerate of course. Put the pot in and pour the water in. Seal the opening but leave needle-poked holes (or bigger) for air circulation.

How wet do you keep your soil at? I mean how often do you have to water the plant initially?
    If the pot has hole, the soil will always be wet, which promotes faster root growth. U do not have to water this way.

Does this method also work with immersed leaves (meaning the plant's leaves are the longer type) I ask this because your instruction is to immerse the plantlet in order to grow some roots. This plantlet I would assume have been growing Emmersed, since it has no roots.
    Same. The emmersed plantlet will not turn submersive so fast.

You mentioned buffering steps which I don't quite understand. Would you mind elaborating?
    Sorry for the bad use of words. Bufferring as in +- the time in various steps.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, thanks. I'll try another plantlet soon.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8