Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Planted tank bursts!

Feedback Score

Planted tank bursts!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Last night at approximately 1am, I heard a long bang and the sound of water splashing.

I knew it. My 4x1.5x1.5 Ocean Free curved-front tank had burst at its seams. But little did I realise, it was the front curved corner that cracked. According to Eric from Qianhu, this was the first case he had ever seen. So much for heng suay.

ADA Aquasoil gone. JBL fert gone. Apistos gone. Saes gone. Java/Windelov gone. Echinodrous Ozelot gone. Yamatos gone. Otos gone.

Still have my other hardware though. Will await Monday for a new tank and cabinet from Qianhu.

Pix from the night/day's mayhem in my gallery: http://www.arofanatics.com/members/hmph/crackedtank/

Thanks to Keith (Mandz) and Azmi (Eco Culture).

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow ... That's quite a disaster you just went through. Just curious, how thick is the glass anyway?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Think it's 10/11mm?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So the sound that came off was from the glass tank cracking?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score

Re:

[quote:0b9e6f6c43="BFG"]So the sound that came off was from the glass tank cracking?[/quote:0b9e6f6c43]

Yup.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My colleage's cousin faced the same situation as you. Also a 4 footer. Cracked at the curved edge. As quoted from another colleague who spoke to some tank manufacturers when he was customising his 5 footer, they told him such tanks are not recommended for large tanks. The water volume put undue stress on the curved side. Hence, it is recommended to use rectangular typed tanks that has more braces for support for large tanks(5ft and above). I used to like "curved front tank until my colleague told me about it. Nowadays, I prefer rectangular tanks.

Pls note that this is only my personal opinion and preference as I have not used such tanks before.

Feedback Score
    pardon me if i m "sua ku" i thot curve tank or bow tank should use "Acrylic" meterial? and "Acrylic" is 17 times stronger then glass of the same diametre.

any way i always test for leak by filling the whole tank and let it stay for 2 days b4 any planting, maybe u can try that, hope to minimised ur losses. good luck on ur new tank.
    ==================================
    GOAL WITHOUT TIME LIMIT IS ONLY A DREAM.