1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ISTA CO2 kit

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi experts, I just setup a ISTA CO2 set but I realized it does not come with a check valve. I return to find the tubes with water and when the timer kicked in this evening, my 1bps flow could not push the water out of the diffuser and so, no CO2 bubble into tank. I increased the flow to purge the lines and re-adjust the flow.

1. Will a check valve stop this problem?
    2. I'm using a external bubble counter and a glass diffuser. The bubble counter is 1 bps but the diffuser is 1 bubble every 2s. Which one is more accurate and I can rely on?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 😁

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: ISTA CO2 kit

Hi, just to share my knowledge... the check valve basic function is to restrict the flow in a uni-direction manner, and normally check valve arrow would point towards the bubble counter so the the water would not be able to back-flow into the solenoid and damage it.

1bps flow would initially take a while before you would see bubbles coming out from your diffuser and I normally would count the bubbles on the bubble counter.

Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi rc, thanks for your reply.

I read on and apparently the ISTA bubble counter is a 2-in-1 device, bubble counter and check valve, but it seems to be not very good at the check valve function. I should get another brass one to fit between solenoid and bubble counter with arrow towards bubble counter, right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm.. If you feel unsafe, you may do that. Like I said, the check valve function is just to restrict the flow direction.

The arrow indicate the flow direction so the connection is normally solenoid - check valve - bubble counter - diffuser and try not to use long tubing for the entire connection.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, do get a good quality check valve, preferably those that are designed specifically for Co2 systems (not those designed for air systems), it costs only a few dollars but will help to protect your Co2 equipment.

In your case, you don't need to have 2 bubble counters running at the same time, just remove the first bubble counter and only use the bubble counter inside your diffuser, then base your effective bps on that counter.

Note that as different setups and equipment generate bps differently, the bps you see is only for reference in your own tank setup.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh ok... I think ill use one because the back flow of water is rather bad. The entire bubble counter is filled with water to the brim.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ISTA CO2 kit

U mean you fill the water to the brim in your bubble counter?

I normally fill half only.
    Last edited by rc311; 8th Jul 2014 at 13:42. Reason: correction

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, do get a good quality check valve, preferably those that are designed specifically for Co2 systems (not those designed for air systems), it costs only a few dollars but will help to protect your Co2 equipment.

In your case, you don't need to have 2 bubble counters running at the same time, just remove the first bubble counter and only use the bubble counter inside your diffuser, then base your effective bps on that counter.

Note that as different setups and equipment generate bps differently, the bps you see is only for reference in your own tank setup.
    Hey thanks for replying, I'm using the gush glass diffuser, is that good enough to count bubbles? If yes, then I'll remove the ISTA one and insert the check valve.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Which one? Can you show us the photo or model?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rc311 View Post
    U mean you fill the water to the brim in your bubble counter?
    i filled it to 2/3 but when the CO2 is off, the back flow of water fills the bubble counter completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Which one? Can you show us the photo or model?
    this is the one that comes with the set i bought.

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    Hey thanks for replying, I'm using the gush glass diffuser, is that good enough to count bubbles? If yes, then I'll remove the ISTA one and insert the check valve.
    The inbuilt bubble counter in the ISTA diffuser works fine... i've used it before in one of my earlier setups too. The bps is just for your own reference when it comes to tuning the injection amount.

The actual Co2 levels in the tank still have to be measured by using a Co2 drop checker.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You mentioned your diffuser has a bubble counter too? Any picture?

If so, like bro UA advice, you don't need 2 bubble counter, you may simply remove the image one and replace it with a check valve.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You mentioned your diffuser has a bubble counter too? Any picture?

If so, like bro UA advice, you don't need 2 bubble counter, you may simply remove the image one and replace it with a check valve.
    this one..

Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

so now, i have these 2 things in line. solenoid - (first pic) - (sec pic)...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The setup is correct and looks alright. But if you are worry about the backflow, you can get a check valve and place it in between the solenoid and the bubble counter (the connection which the co2 coming in from)

But of course all our reasons can be a valid excuse to replace the equipment with a better aesthetic look.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

oh thanks, which is why i bought all the glass things. Anyway, can I remove the ISTA bubble counter (exterior of tank-first pic) and leave the glass diffuser in the tank and use it to count bubbles.

Then i understand i need to add in a CO2 drop checker, i saw nice pretty glass ones.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hehehe.. Yeah man. CO2 drop checker is also probably a must to have a better reading.

Also for me, I would get a separate bubble counter instead of reading from the glass diffuser. And we have to mentally strong enough to resist those beauty, else pocket would suffer...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ah I see, so all I need is to add a check valve now and a drop checker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Installed the drop checker, it is indicating green. Will the color change to yellow when the CO2 is set to on at the preset time or it should stay green all the way..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast