Country
    Singapore

Before I start...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellas!

Been thinking about keeping fishes for a long time but haven't got the time to do so until I keep seeing more and more of my colleagues keeping fishes and I can simply stare at their fish tanks for minutes till they have to shoo me off.

Anyway, abit buay tahan liaoz. I have been reading abit on fishes these days on things like:
    - Tank size
    - Nitrate levels (its when fishes poop, its regarded as 'fertilizers' for the plants and it all goes in a huge cycle right?)
    - Water PH
    - Water temperature

And so on.... But I am still confused about things like water cycling, 'settling' and so on.

I am actually looking forward to such a set up:
    - A school of small tetras (probably about 10)
    - A school of glowlights (probably about 5?)
    - 1 small crayfish
    - 1 driftwood
    - 2 leafy plants
    - 2 small marimos
    - 1 small 'fun' toy in the aquarium for fish and the crayfish to explore/hide

And of course, tank can't be too monstrous. I am actually looking at a maximum of a 35 litre tank. Can't keep too big a fish tank in office though. I heard about the saying of "1 gallon per inch of fish", so am I cutting it too tight here? I am prepared to cut down the number of fishes though.

Any tips?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Before I start...

You could have smaller species of such as chili rasbora or scarlet badis. Or you could also stock it with shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see. Are those schooling fishes? Was also thinking of stocking 1 crayfish but I was told that the crayfish can be very territorial and won't fit in with other bottom dwellers like shrimp....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chili rasbora don't really school. Cambarellus patzcuarensis Orange (CPO) maybe your safest bet. They may or may not get along with shrimp but they are plant safe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Imo CPO does not get along with shrimps unless was kept with shrimps since birth.
    Loving crypts <3

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm..... I don't intend to keep shrimps if I am putting in a crayfish. Similarly, if I am having shrimps then no crayfish. I understand that these 2 don't get along well. Kinda like a cat & dog business.

Regarding water parameters, could crayfish live in water parameters that are actually meant for bleeding hearts, scarlet badis, tetras, or other smaller fishes? Understand that crayfishes are pretty hardy. Just need to keep them happy with algae at the bottom and a few hiding places~

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Crayfishes can adapt to live in slightly acidic pH and softer water conditions, just ensure they have a high calcium diet (ie. Hikari Crab Cuisine or shrimp foods) or add some beneficial mineral rocks in the tank, it'll help them molt and maintain a healthy shell.

Note that crayfishes like the CPO come equipped with a pair of pincers which are quite good at grabbing food and prey, hence there is a chance it could grab small fishes or shrimps which happen to be sleeping or resting near the substrate level (i've personally observed it happen a few times when i used to keep CPO in comunity tanks). So do consider that possibility when you house them together.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com