Country
    Singapore

Cherry shrimps vs CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2 feet tank planted with Xmas moss and Japanese hairgrass.

I'm using one T5 light and one up aqua z series led.
    I'm also using pressurised co2.
    I notice that every time I turn on the co2 my shrimps will die after.

The thing is I start the co2 very slowly and my drop checker slowly turns from blue to green. After the photoperiod. The co2 shuts off and the o2 machine starts. The drop checker will then turn back to blue.

I'm wondering if it is the co2 killing the shrimps or the PH change.
    But my tank KH is 4. Isn't that enough to buffer the ph ?

I've narrowed it down to the CO2 problem because prior to turning on the co2 I had no deaths but after the photoperiod I had 5 deaths.

Could someone advise me please?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cherry shrimps vs CO2

Has this been happening for consecutive days? As in you are regularly seeing shrimps dying every day after the photoperiod? If so, then reduce the Co2 injection rate and run on a lower level of Co2 for a few days, then gradually increase it slowly over the course of a week... its possible some shrimps may need extra time to get used to the fluctuations in Co2 and pH levels.

If it only happened once, or if those shrimps that died were newly introduced, then it could be due to stress and the new shrimps were just too weak to withstand the changes. Have to spend more time to acclimate the new shrimps before introduction into the tank.

Not sure what your "o2 machine" is, but that might also be causing a quicker than usual shift in pH due to its immediate activation after the Co2 shuts off, so it might be contributing to the the sudden fluctuations too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA,

Yeah they were recently introduced shrimps.
    Bought them from bankok. So much cheaper there.
    i guess they needed more time to acclimatise despite doing the drip acclimatisation. Maybe they were not used to the co2 yet.

The o2 machine is just the air pump. Sorry for being vague. Yeah it could be that the air pump coming on immediately after the photo period results in the swing too.

Thanks for your help

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, if you get shrimps which have been bred and lived their whole lives in non-Co2 injected environments, it'll be a double-shock for them when they get introduced to a high-tech Co2 injected tank... then its definitely better to acclimate them longer and also reduce the tank's Co2 injection for a while, and only slowly ramp it up over a period of time when you see that the shrimps adapting to it.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just out of curiosity, if the plant mass is dense, will the cherries adapt better in the high tech co2 setup?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by WingCher View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if the plant mass is dense, will the cherries adapt better in the high tech co2 setup?
    A dense plant mass (especially with lots of fast growing plants) in a mature established tank would definitely be beneficial to the shrimps and help in their transition... mainly due to the more stable parameters and ample hiding places, every factor that reduces their stress would help.

Though a tank environment with Co2 injection would usually still be very different from where most shrimps came from (unless they were also bred in high tech tanks too), so it'll still be better to acclimate them properly to improve the survival rate.
    www.urbanaquaria.com