Country
    Singapore

Kuhli Loaches

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone!

Just got 5 of these cute loaches and was wondering do they need water filter or air pump?

I have a small tank with 1 guppy. Did not use any water filter at all.

But not sure if these little guys need water filter or not.

Please kindly advise! Very new to keeping fishes

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Kuhli Loaches

I think it would be preferable for them to be kept in a tank with a water filter.

The requirements of Kuhli loaches seem quite high although they are known to be scavengers in river systems.

A quick research done shows that they prefer slightly acidic water with a 5.0 dGH.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Kuhli loaches are actually very hardy to the point that some of lfs ill-treat them by displaying them in pails.

However, you should always try to provide your fishes with some sort of filter, even if it is those small hang-on-back filters.

Kuhlis are beautiful fishes. At first, they will be extremely skittish and if you have plants/deco you will never see them, but give them a few weeks and they will be unafraid to come out for food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The filter is the toilet.

Wouldn't want to stay in a house without a toilet.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do note that kuhli loaches are very good at jumping out, especially when they swim to the surface to gulp air; if they're swimming at great speed they might accidentally launch themselves out of the water and end up on the floor. Lost a few kuhli loaches this way.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    The filter is the toilet.

Wouldn't want to stay in a house without a toilet.
    Very good Analogy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm feeling super sad!
    Lost 2 loaches already, not sure why!! one is dying too.

And every time one died, i had to do 100% water change as the water stink and bubbled so badly.

I'm now cycling another tank of water. Hope i'm doing it right.

Does anyone know if I can add shrimp soil as their substrate? I had some leftover from my previous tank. Its by ANS (Made in Japan).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A picture of your tank or living conditions of your loaches would help.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How small is your tank? Did you acclimate them to your tank before introduction?

Maybe the tank bio-load capacity is exceeded and the water conditions keep turning toxic with the addition of those khuli loaches, coupled with stress of introduction into a new tank, it probably affected the weaker ones.

Shrimp soil is okay for them, they can live in lower pH conditions... though when i kept khuli loaches before, i kept them in a sand based tank and they loved to sift through the sand for food and burrow into it to rest.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    How small is your tank? Did you acclimate them to your tank before introduction?

Maybe the tank bio-load capacity is exceeded and the water conditions keep turning toxic with the addition of those khuli loaches, coupled with stress of introduction into a new tank, it probably affected the weaker ones.

Shrimp soil is okay for them, they can live in lower pH conditions... though when i kept khuli loaches before, i kept them in a sand based tank and they loved to sift through the sand for food and burrow into it to rest.
    hi guys!
    Need your advice again, just got some kuhli last night from the shop but it looks to be kept in poor conditions. Many dead Kuhli in the tank and not cleared.

The owner also mentioned I must use black water but am googling now and some say freshwater some say black water!

Pls advise if I should add in the black water solution or not...

Thank you!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Black water is tanin stained water. It is still fresh water.

Different from brackish water.

Anyway if your water condition is right, the fish won't die. Stop buying fish until you get your water right or more fish will die.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Take your time to do your research. This is half the fun of this hobby. Google is your best friend when it comes to research. You will be surprised at the amount of information that is already out there available on the internet. Oh yes. Internet is not only a place to find peeing women outside MRT stations and memes. It contains information too.

Anyway, since you are already on this forum, you can start your research here. Although you will not find selfies of our politicians here but you can find a lot of information here. You can start by using the search function of this forum.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...earchid=537894

Take your time to go through all the threads, absorb the information and plan your tank accordingly.

From what I briefly gather...

Kuhli loaches are typically shy creatures who require brackish water of relatively high quality. They will need a lot of hiding places too. UA has shared that he has a positive experience keeping them with a sand-bed. You could also put in some pipes or breeding caves for them to hide. I can imagine that they will not go well with a planted tank with an established carpet since they got nowhere to burrow.

Have fun reading and you can post any other questions here. We would be more than happy to help you out as we would also learn something new ourselves. In the course of doing so, we will get poisoned ourselves and probably start considering to add Kuhli Loaches ourselves.

Honestly, I am considering now...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Internet is not only a place to find peeing women outside MRT stations and memes.

Kuhli loaches are typically shy creatures who require brackish water of relatively high quality.
    Hi Bro, would like to point out.

1)She was taking a dump, not just a piss.

2)Brackish water is a mixture of sea water and freshwater, not black water. Kuhli Loach would do poorly in Brackish water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by dustcollector View Post
    hi guys!
    Need your advice again, just got some kuhli last night from the shop but it looks to be kept in poor conditions. Many dead Kuhli in the tank and not cleared.

The owner also mentioned I must use black water but am googling now and some say freshwater some say black water!

Pls advise if I should add in the black water solution or not...

Thank you!!!
    Looks like the khuli loaches from that LFS were already in very weak condition, so the death rate would naturally be much higher when you introduce them into your tank.

Usually when you see many dead fishes in an LFS tank, it means the remaining fishes are already compromised by poor living conditions or illness. Its always best to buy healthy fishes from places which keep them in proper conditions, it makes a big difference in their survival rates.

If the khuli loaches you got were kept in blackwater conditions at the LFS (ie. their tank water is stained brown by extract or ketapang leaves) then it might help to replicate those conditions so that they have an easier time adapting to your tank... though if the tank's water conditions are maintained well, they can easily adapt to a range of tank environments too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bro, would like to point out.

1)She was taking a dump, not just a piss.

2)Brackish water is a mixture of sea water and freshwater, not black water. Kuhli Loach would do poorly in Brackish water.
    Yes. You are right.

1) Verified with Stomp.

2) Verified with Wikipedia.

Looks like I need to do more reading.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My longest surviving Fauna since I started this hobby about 2 years ago are the kuhli loaches. I had 6, one jumped out another died after I did a major rescape a year ago, the rest are still alive till date in my 1 ft cube, roughly 1.5 years now.

I kept them in planted tank with shrimp soil. Honestly, I hardy see them for the past 1.5 years, only manage to catch a glimpse occasionally.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kuhli loach like dark shady tanks. I should have 8 in a 2ft with bogwood,java fern,gex sand and floating plants. They live in the java fern. Once you pop in a carnivore pellet or two, they start to appear.
    I run a small sponge filter with a power head, other tankmates are 9 Mountain minnow.

Nothing fancy. Like I mentioned earlier, as long as your tank is mature and stable, the fish won't die.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks everyone!

Have finally introduced the remaining 4 kuhlis to my tank. They look so cute and happy!!! Except for 1 that is lying on its side, and later looks ok again, eating well and back to lying on its side.

One thing i really regretted not buying: Test Kits! Going to get them from LFS later tonight.

My setup now is:

5 Endler Guppies
    1 Pictus Catfish
    4 Kuhli Loaches
    3 potted plants
    Shrimp Soil Substrate
    HOB Filter with some carbon and zeolite stones
    1 LED light with timer

Here are some photos..

Can someone please help me check if my pictus catfish having ich issues? There are some white tiny spots at the tail area!

2014-08-15 15.11.27.jpg
    2014-08-15 15.11.06.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's no pictus cat. It's some sort of Synodontis catfish. It may eat your endlers or their fry when it gets bigger.

You should remove the plants from the pot and plant into the soil.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That's no pictus cat. It's some sort of Synodontis catfish. It may eat your endlers or their fry when it gets bigger.

You should remove the plants from the pot and plant into the soil.
    Oh dear! The shop auntie still tell me it's ok and won't grow any much bigger!!!

Didnt my dare to remove the plants from the pots, scared end up I will be killing it. But if I leave it in the pots, will they die too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast