Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Aggression in common goldfish to tank mates

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It has been going on for a while now, but this is first time I seen a behavior change in the last week so I thought I would bring it to your guys' attention. Probably the only solution is for a time out or separating, but I really hope I don't have to separate them as I don't have anywhere to put them.

My common goldfish has recently taken to bullying the other 3 fish in the tank. This only occurs during feeding time. Anytime any food goes in the tank, he drives them all under their bellies away. The other three do eat, but he is hounding them until he sees all the food is gone. I think this is because he got so much bigger than the others that he is feeling like he can do this now? I think he is about 6 inches total.

Also, just last week, I caught him 2 times where he was sucking on my bubble-eye's bubbles. It is only a few times and he went away after that. The bubbles have not popped, but being as I work and sleep most of the day, I am afraid that one day, he may try to eat the bubbles when I am not supervising. My other 2 goldies, a ranchu and lionhead, does not do anything with the bubbles and they have been tankmates for well over a year. Is this a common occurrence?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aggression in common goldfish to tank mates

Best is separate out the common goldfish, the other remaining 3 will definitely be grateful to you for doing that. Otherwise sooner or later there will be casualty.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Generally goldfish are not that aggressive. From what's bring described better to separate them. If it's only snatching food you can spread out the pellets around the tank instead of in one place. But this aggressive behaviour is not good for the other tank mates. Maybe get a divider if you only have one tank and hesitate to give up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't mix fancy goldfish with common or long bodied goldfish.They are more agile.

Fancy goldfish have been genetically modified (or deformed) overtime to the point that they cannot compete with other fish for survival.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.