Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Height of Planted Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm thinkig of getting a custom made planted tank soon (4 ft x 2 ft). Did think of getting a 2 ft height as well but have been reading thru the form and realized that at 2 ft, I may require more lights as well as having problems pruning the plants as well.

From your experience, for a 4 ft tank, should I have the height at 1.5 or 2 ft ?
    Appreciate all advice

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about 1.5ft?

The lights can penetrate easier, pruning is easier, and you don't need to fill up so much water

But the downside is probably the maximum height your plants can attain, therefore affecting your layout in terms of depth?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can compensate the loss of 0.5' for an extra 1' in length.

Alternatively, you can still go for your 2' depth but have a thicker soil substrate.

Quite a lot of plants can grow beyond 1'. I would go for 2' and have more lights.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Go for the higher height of tank.... using PL lights close to the water surface and your lights will be able to penetrate to the bottom. Remember..... the fert base and gravel plus some allowance at the top of the tank will reduce the overall actual depth of the water level.
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the replies. I agree that a deeper tank is the way to go as lights are easily changed but I will not be able to change my tank that often !

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I prefer 2ft tall tanks. Gives the plants more space to grow before they need to be pruned. You're choice of plants will be less limited too.

Pruning isn't a problem, but you'll need the long planting tweezers and scissors. 2ft height is just about the limit for reaching the lower back parts of the tank without bending over the tank. Anything taller and you'll need to lengthen your arms. :P

To ease maintenance, make the tank rim no higher the a few inches below your armpit, OR get a steady stool/short ladder to stand on during maintenance. Personally, I prefer the tank top to be above eye level so that guests don't see the top of my tank.That eliminates the need of a hood and maximises ventilation of the area between lights and water.

IME, and from what I've read here and there, large tanks do not need 3WPG. 2 to 2.5 WPG is sufficient. That much of PLs and FLs can do the job.

You could also consider a 4'x1.5'x2' (LxWxH) tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    considering a 1.5ft height tank, after dumping in the base fert and gravel, effectively the actual height is about 1ft 3in left and that reduces choice of plants......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...