Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thoughts on aquasoil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey all, what are your thoughts about aquasoil? Should i use it? I've read that it is pricey and it becomes muddy after a period of time so i'm not too sure if i should use it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Thoughts on aquasoil

It depends on the type of tank you are setting up... if it's a high density planted tank, then ADA Amazonia aquasoil will be one of the best substrates for growing plants, it provides lots of nutrients that plants need during their initial grow-out period and buffers the water to conditions favorable to plant growth over a longer period of time. The soil also has high cation exchange capacity (CEC) so nutrients and fertilizers are retained well for feeding plant roots.

A portion of aquasoil does naturally breakdown over time, but the majority of it will usually stay intact over the lifespan of most aquascapes (ie. 1-2 years). Even when recycled, i've found that 80-90% of the soil will usually still be solid and reusable.

Cost-wise, at local prices of around S$40 for a 9L bag of ADA Amazonia aquasoil, it's actually quite similar (and sometimes even cheaper) when compared to most other soil brands. For the plant growth benefits it provides, ADA aquasoil is surprisingly good value.

Only thing to note is if you are running a tank with low plant density or mainly slow growing plants, then you might consider other less nutrient-rich substrates... as ADA aquasoil is designed to release a lot of ammonia and nutrients during the initial few weeks of tank startup, which is meant to jump start and accelerate dense plant growth.

Many people use ADA aquasoil but only plant sparsely, so with the low nutrient take-up rate, they end up having to do lots of water changes to try to flush out the excess ammonia and nutrients... which sort of defeats the soil's original purpose in the first place.

For tanks with low plant density or slow growing plants, less nutrient-rich substrates or inert substrates may be more suitable (if necessary, just add nutrients into the water column via fertilizers instead).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 10th Sep 2014 at 02:32.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see.. Thank you, that cleared some of my doubts. Also, I visited several stores the other day and saw a type of aquasoil; H.E.L.P advanced soil (shrimp/plants) and i was wondering if they were any good? I was thinking of having Amazon Swords, Anubias and more.

What are some plants you'd recommend?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Antomidas View Post
    I see.. Thank you, that cleared some of my doubts. Also, I visited several stores the other day and saw a type of aquasoil; H.E.L.P advanced soil (shrimp/plants) and i was wondering if they were any good?
    The HELP brand aquasoil can also be used... but for the small difference in price, most people would rather just get ADA aquasoil instead. Just do a google search on ADA aquasoil vs HELP aquasoil (or any other brand soil) and you'll see which soil more people use, especially the top aquascapers... and of course, Takashi Amano.

The main thing to consider is if you encounter any issues with your tank, its alot easier to get advice on ADA aquasoil because many more people use it, and its already tried and tested for years in overwhelming numbers of successful competition level aquascapes (if you look at the lists of IALPC and AGA competition tanks, majority all use ADA aquasoil). So if any planted tank fail with ADA aquasoil, its not the soil's fault, its other factors.

I was thinking of having Amazon Swords, Anubias and more.

What are some plants you'd recommend?
    If you are just starting out in planted tanks, go for the lower demand easy growing plants first, gain more confidence and experience before moving on to the higher demand plants. Read up on aquascaping forum threads and journals to see what plants other people use and how they are grown.

You can check out info on popular plants used in aquascapes from the Tropica website, they list them in easy, medium, hard categories for reference:

http://tropica.com/en/plants/
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I will check the website out and do more research on the plants However, any idea (approximately) how many litres of aquasoil do i need for a 4ft tank? (ADA aquasoil) And on top of the required amount, should i get some extra?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    ...... So if any planted tank fail with ADA aquasoil, its not the soil's fault, its other factors.
    hahaha... love the statement
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I will check the website out and do more research on the plants However, any idea (approximately) how many litres of aquasoil do i need for a 4ft tank? (ADA aquasoil) And on top of the required amount, should i get some extra?
    Depending on the slope, it could be 4 or 5 bags of 9 liters.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

It'll depend on your aquascape design and the type of plants you wish to use... but generally if based on an average soil substrate depth example of say 5cm, you can calculate it out as:

Length x Width x Height / 1000... so for a typical 4ft tank with 2ft width, it'll be 120cm x 60cm x 5cm / 1000 = 36 liters of aquasoil. Works out to around 4 x 9L bags of ADA aquasoil (similar to what Shadow recommended).

If you are going for those aquascape layouts with high slopes to the back, then have to buy more soil accordingly. Likewise, if your aquascape has alot of rocks and other hardscape that take up most of the tank's base space, then you may need less soil.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh my, it's an expensive hobby indeed. Alright, i'll save some money up and we'll see how it goes