Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: For a new tank, should one directly add water to the tank? Or mix anti-chlorine first

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For a new tank, should one directly add water to the tank? Or mix anti-chlorine first

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I already have a 2ft tank that I didn't cycle properly. The first time I added water, I simply used a hose to direct tap water into it, with a little anti-chlorine. Even though it wasn't cycled properly, it is now thriving with shrimp and fish.

Now, I am planning to setup a red cherry shrimp. I know shrimp are sensitive to ammonia and nitrites, so I am planning to cycle the tank with guppies first.

However, should I just do my old method of filling the tank with tap water over the ADA Aquasoil? Or should I mix the water with anti-chlorine before adding it to the tank?

If I want to cycle my tank, wouldn't the chlorine and chloramine in tap water kill the bacteria required to cycle the tank?

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: For a new tank, should one directly add water to the tank? Or mix anti-chlorine f

Mix with anti chlorine first, age the water, then add in.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: For a new tank, should one directly add water to the tank? Or mix anti-chlorine f

"If I want to cycle my tank, wouldn't the chlorine and chloramine in tap water kill the bacteria required to cycle the tank?"

yes bro you are spot in without adding antichlorine first u would wipe out the bacteria first,
    since you already have another tank running why not use that tanks water to start a new tank, it is much safer due to PH levels etc etc,
    Once your tank is stable & cycled you can then consider adding direct tap water then adding anti chlorine as your only changing 20% of the main water body

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i will usually mix with seachem prime, not only to remove chlorine, but also to remove chloramine..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks, bros, for the tips.