1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

sponge filters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all, saw some of the nice hobbyist here using sponge filters to power up their shrimp tanks, just wondering if there any recommended ones out there?? and which air pump would be good enough to filter a 2 ft tank partition into 2 compartments??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: sponge filters

Most people use the common Ocean Free or Xinyou brand sponge filters, they all usually share the same designs (parts can even be interchangeable)... the majority of LFS carry these brands.

Here is an example:

You can also look at those versions which stick on the tank walls with suction cups, they have an adjustable exit nozzle which pushes out water horizontally (rather than just vertically like normal sponge filters), these designs can create abit more circulation for your tank... looks like this:

Photos from google images.

Green Chapter has a new version that has extra compartment spaces at the bottom to put additional bio-media too, quite interesting. Can check those out.

As for air pump... i currently use the GEX e-Air 2000SB (single output) and GEX e-Air 4000WB (double output) for my stock quarantine/grow-out tanks, both have adjustable knobs to tune the air flow rate and are relatively quiet... been using them for just over a year and still working fine.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Most people use the common Ocean Free or Xinyou brand sponge filters, they all usually share the same designs (parts can even be interchangeable)... the majority of LFS carry these brands.

Here is an example:

You can also look at those versions which stick on the tank walls with suction cups, they have an adjustable exit nozzle which pushes out water horizontally (rather than just vertically like normal sponge filters), these designs can create abit more circulation for your tank... looks like this:

Photos from google images.

Green Chapter has a new version that has extra compartment spaces at the bottom to put additional bio-media too, quite interesting. Can check those out.

As for air pump... i currently use the GEX e-Air 2000SB (single output) and GEX e-Air 4000WB (double output) for my stock quarantine/grow-out tanks, both have adjustable knobs to tune the air flow rate and are relatively quiet... been using them for just over a year and still working fine.
    i see... thanks a lot for your advice... anyway for canisters and other kinds of filters, there are flowrates etc, just wondering how is air pumps' flowrate being calculated?? like how much power can generate how much flowrate enough to filter a 2 ft tank

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup..Xinyou brand sponge filters is cheap & good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by da_xiong View Post
    i see... thanks a lot for your advice... anyway for canisters and other kinds of filters, there are flowrates etc, just wondering how is air pumps' flowrate being calculated?? like how much power can generate how much flowrate enough to filter a 2 ft tank
    For air pumps, they also work on a similar method of measuring their flow rate (ie. liters per hour, l/ph), it basically indicates the volume of air that the pump outputs as bubbles, which in turn also moves the same volume of water.

Usually the l/ph figures are printed on the air pump box or specification list.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For air pumps, they also work on a similar method of measuring their flow rate (ie. liters per hour, l/ph), it basically indicates the volume of air that the pump outputs as bubbles, which in turn also moves the same volume of water.

Usually the l/ph figures are printed on the air pump box or specification list.

i see... thanks a lot for your help appreciate that! =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Green chapter just started stocking a new sponge filter system which incorporates bio media within it. best part, the canisters are magnetically attached/removed! wicked cool

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

anyway I just saw, the gex air pump stats that flowrate is (0.5 to 2) x 2l/min does that means it ranges from 0.5 x 2l x 60min = 60l/hr flow rate to 2 x 2l x 60min = 240l/hr flow rate?? I saw some other air pumps' flow rates and mostly are rated around this range, is it the same as canisters' flow rate??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

anyway I just saw, the gex air pump stats that flowrate is (0.5 to 2) x 2l/min does that means it ranges from 0.5 x 2l x 60min = 60l/hr flow rate to 2 x 2l x 60min = 240l/hr flow rate?? I saw some other air pumps' flow rates and mostly are rated around this range, is it the same as canisters' flow rate??
    Yes, thats correct... the flow rate ranges are based on how you adjust the air pump's in-built tuning knob (from min flow to max flow). The flow rate indicates the volume of water that'll move through the sponge filter.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, thats correct... the flow rate ranges are based on how you adjust the air pump's in-built tuning knob (from min flow to max flow). The flow rate indicates the volume of water that'll move through the sponge filter.
    hmm.. is it equivalent to the flowrate that is stated on canister filters??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hmm.. is it equivalent to the flowrate that is stated on canister filters??
    Theoretically they are similar, their flow rates can be considered as representing the amount of water that is moved through their respective filter mediums.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Theoretically they are similar, their flow rates can be considered as representing the amount of water that is moved through their respective filter mediums.

I see... if the air pump has got 2 heads would that mean that the flowrate is divided by 2? haha

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see... if the air pump has got 2 heads would that mean that the flowrate is divided by 2? haha
    Thats what i'd assume... like for the Gex e-Air 4000WB (dual port), it lists (0.5-2.0) x 2L per min, so i take it as 30-120L per hour x 2 ports, so each port outputs 30-120 l/ph flow rate.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thats what i'd assume... like for the Gex e-Air 4000WB (dual port), it lists (0.5-2.0) x 2L per min, so i take it as 30-120L per hour x 2 ports, so each port outputs 30-120 l/ph flow rate.
    I see... hmmm... guess it would not be enough to power up sponge filters for a 2 feet tank partition into 2.. was looking at this setup by bai..

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...nk-Setup/page2