Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help with entry level lights

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all! I am relatively new to this forum, just started out on this hobby in June. Hope to receive some guidance from all the pros out here!

Been thinking of upgrading my lame up-Aqua LED light on my 5g tank.

Dimensions: 33 x 22 x 28 (LxBxH)

Fauna: 8 RCS, 4 CRA, 5 Boraras spp, 1 Cory, 1 Ancistrus sp. (the tiny black one with white specs all over, sold in C328 near their snail tank. ID??)

Flora: Mini pellia, fissidens, riccia, Java moss, Rotala red, Hornwort(?), MC.

Desperately trying to carpet my MC now, that's why thinking to upgrade light! Been dosing Seachem flourish comp and excel, but stopped the excel after I found out it's killing my pellia (will be getting CO2 soon!)

Wish to ask for bros' opinions. I have a few options in mind:

1) Beamworks Green element 1ft clip-on or the resting kind
    2) Odyssea EVO
    3) Aqualighter Nano
    4) Flexi Mini

The faces are because of the prices.. Am totally sold about the form and function of the flexi mini (maybe the marketing worked on me), but the price is really something to consider. Compared to the others which are substantially cheaper, I wonder how they fare against the flexi mini ("best"?)

So any bro willing to chip in on what they think about these, your opinions are most welcome! Feel free to offer other suggestions too.. Only thing is I want an LED lamp, no T5/T8 because my tank is too warm to use fluorescent bulbs.

TIA!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help with entry level lights

Which exact Up Aqua light series/model are you currently using?
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA! I believe I'm using the T series? the one with the extensible metal legs readily available at C328

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413983540.147942.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Okay, yeah... the T-series are the lowest powered LED lights in the Up Aqua range, they are mainly for low-tech tanks that have low-demand plants, so you wouldn't expect to achieve fast plant growth with that series/model (though the side-benefit is algae also don't grow as fast too).

Low-tech tanks without Co2 injection tend to have much slower overall growth rates anyways, compared to high-tech tanks with Co2 injection.

Since you are going to get Co2 injection for your tank, then it'll definitely be recommended to get more powerful lights to take advantage of the boost in carbon supply.

The 4 brands/models in your list will all be suitable. Out of the 4, i have tried the beamworks green element lights and odyssea evo lights before. The beamworks green element clip-on has a relatively moderate light intensity so it should work well. The odyssea evo clip-on model (6 x 3W LEDs) will offer even higher light intensity, so you may just need abit more attention and adjustments to ensure there isn't too much excess light in the tank.

I've not used the Aqualighter Nano and Flexi Mini yet, so i can't comment on their actual effectiveness. Though from their marketing info and specs, it looks like they should also do a good job too.

I guess when a product has nice brushed aluminum CNC machined casing, you'll have to pay premium $$$ for that.

Btw, you could also consider the Up Aqua Z-Series LED lights too, it outputs 2-3 times higher light intensity than the T-Series and so far has been proven to grow plants well in both low and high tech nano tanks.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 22nd Oct 2014 at 22:30.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haha UA.. thanks for always sharing. indeed it cannot be denied that much premium has to be paid for single block aluminium machined LED, but I'm also very drawn to their R&D-ed HCRI LED that offer full spectrum white light. so it's not all form but very much function too!

about your z-series, yes I saw your recent posts on them running on your 2fts. may I ask how much "damage" do they cost?

so any idea what's the lumen output for the green element? I know the flexi is about 600+ lumens.. more research was done here http://www.theaquaticplantsociety.or...led-follow-up/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    haha UA.. thanks for always sharing. indeed it cannot be denied that much premium has to be paid for single block aluminium machined LED, but I'm also very drawn to their R&D-ed HCRI LED that offer full spectrum white light. so it's not all form but very much function too!

about your z-series, yes I saw your recent posts on them running on your 2fts. may I ask how much "damage" do they cost?

so any idea what's the lumen output for the green element? I know the flexi is about 600+ lumens.. more research was done here http://www.theaquaticplantsociety.or...led-follow-up/
    For the 2ft Z-Series LED lights (the Z-20) model that i use... it usually retails for around S$76+ at most LFS. For the 1ft model, its only around S$46+. The 2ft version runs at around 1,320 lumens, while the 1ft version is basically half that at around 640 lumens. Best to buy the lights at Seaview as they currently still have additional 15% store-wide discount on equipment purchases, so it works out even cheaper from there.

For the green element lights, i can't remember exactly but they should also have quite similar lumen output, though not sure if lumens correlates to actual light efficiency in terms of growing plants (since lumens mainly indicates the visual brightness to our eyes). I guess other factors like the specific spectrum of the lights, overall depth penetration and light spread are major contributing factors too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    For the 2ft Z-Series LED lights (the Z-20) model that i use... it usually retails for around S$76+ at most LFS. For the 1ft model, its only around S$46+. The 2ft version runs at around 1,320 lumens, while the 1ft version is basically half that at around 640 lumens. Best to buy the lights at Seaview as they currently still have additional 15% store-wide discount on equipment purchases, so it works out even cheaper from there.

For the green element lights, i can't remember exactly but they should also have quite similar lumen output, though not sure if lumens correlates to actual light efficiency in terms of growing plants (since lumens mainly indicates the visual brightness to our eyes). I guess other factors like the specific spectrum of the lights, overall depth penetration and light spread are major contributing factors too.
    yes definitely. just that since penetration and beam angle are harder specs to find, I was asking luminosity as a gauge ️ okay I'll either go big (Flexi) or go "home" (up-Aqua Z)! sounds like 800+ lumens of the odyssea/nemolight might be too much..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

yes definitely. just that since penetration and beam angle are harder specs to find, I was asking luminosity as a gauge ️ okay I'll either go big (Flexi) or go "home" (up-Aqua Z)! sounds like 800+ lumens of the odyssea/nemolight might be too much..
    Actually, higher intensity lights can also be used too. Since the tank will have Co2 injection, you'll have more options to adjust the combination of light, Co2 and ferts.

Simply vary the height/distance of the lights from the tank surface to adjust the intensity to your requirements.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

dear UA, I am pleased to tell you that I've placed an order with C328 Aunty for a 30cm UP Aqua Z series. this is after browsing your website and your tanks. your 64L is simply amazing!! I'm totally sold on the Z series!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

dear UA, I am pleased to tell you that I've placed an order with C328 Aunty for a 30cm UP Aqua Z series. this is after browsing your website and your tanks. your 64L is simply amazing!! I'm totally sold on the Z series!
    Look forward to your tank setup and progress!
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just got the z series 1.5 Ft led from Nanyang Seaview to replace my aquazonic T5 which had problem switching on. Must say i am pretty happy with the light as it definitely look sleeker. If only the lower budget lights come with timer than it would been a seriously good product. By the way, Nanyang is selling the LED bulb which is 0.5W for planted light set (marine light set still witht the 0.05w led bulb) which i think is the newer model and as mentioned they have a promotion going on too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks guys for helping! got the 1ft for my shrimp tank and i must say i like the colour temperature (8000k). if the community don't mind helping me out with another question, i'm wondering if the Pro Z has good enough penetration for a 1.5ft DEPTH tank? my 2ft is 60x30x45. thinking of replacing my PL lamp cos its too hot..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks guys for helping! got the 1ft for my shrimp tank and i must say i like the colour temperature (8000k). if the community don't mind helping me out with another question, i'm wondering if the Pro Z has good enough penetration for a 1.5ft DEPTH tank? my 2ft is 60x30x45. thinking of replacing my PL lamp cos its too hot..
    The Z-Series LED lights are usually suitable for up to 36cm height tanks... but at 45cm height, you may need LED lights with stronger individual LEDs (ie. 3W LEDs) to get more light down to the plants at the substrate level.

Though it also depends on the types of plants you are using, if they are mainly slow growing low demand plants like anubias, java ferns or mosses etc, then the Z-Series lights might still be okay for 45 cm height tanks. But if you are growing carpet plants with more light requirements, like HC or dwarf hairgrass, then stronger LED lights would work much better.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 27th Oct 2014 at 15:11.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see I see. ok thanks UA! great help!