Country
    Singapore

Help on ridding Seed Shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good day!

Any idea what fish will feed on seed shrimps in a shrimp tank? would prefer the fish to be as shrimplet safe as possible!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help on ridding Seed Shrimp

borara are good choice for those. small little bugger with small mouth, cant eat shrimplets

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any type of boraras? was considering boraras too but was wondering if they are effective enough. haha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey there! I think you are having fire red shrimps right? I'm breeding them too! I used to have that problem but then I introduced 3 pygmy cories and now I don't see a single cocepod! I'm planning to get more from seaview after 13th nov as it'll be cheaper if I buy in bulk. Want to join me?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Reduced/controlled feeding helps alot, seed shrimp populations increase and decrease based on available food sources.

Small fishes like boraras can help, but if they get fed well they will prefer commercial food instead (seed shrimps need more effort to chase and not as tasty), so you'll need to feed them very sparingly to encourage them to hunt the seed shrimps, though at the same time they may also snack on any newborn shrimplets they happen to find, so its a trade off.

Indostomus Paradoxus can help too, they have a very specialized diet and only eat tiny live foods (i've never seen them eat commercial food). They will hunt and eat the smaller seed shrimps (those we almost can't even see), so they help control the seed shrimp population.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey swordZ. Will pygmy disturb my scape and soil? Will it eat seed shrimp You mentioned cocepod while I am facing infestation of seed shrimp (Ostracod/Ostracode). Dont think they are the same.. Anyway you are right, I am having fire red shrimps haha!

Hey UA. Thanks for your advice. Currently reducing feeding to once every two days in the hope of reducing seed shrimp infestation. Aware that some boraras may still disturb/feed on shrimplets. Anyway, I am not very familiar with indostomus paradoxus. Do they prey on shrimplets as much as the boraras? And where can i find such a fish?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ahpui6 View Post
    Hey UA. Thanks for your advice. Currently reducing feeding to once every two days in the hope of reducing seed shrimp infestation. Aware that some boraras may still disturb/feed on shrimplets. Anyway, I am not very familiar with indostomus paradoxus. Do they prey on shrimplets as much as the boraras? And where can i find such a fish?
    Yeah, although boraras may snack on newborn shrimplets, the key is to only stock a few of them to help eat tiny critters... like maybe just 4-5 boraras in a tank of 40-50 or more shrimps, and with lots of hiding places (dense vegetation or mosses), so that tiny newborn shrimplets have ample places to hide and quickly grow large enough not to be eaten (it just take a few days for shrimplets to grow large enough to be safe).

Just don't chuck 20-30 boraras into a tank with only 10-20 shrimps, if these micro predators outnumber their prey, confirm you'll see the shrimp population remain stagnant for a very long time.

Indostomus Paradoxus are very unique fishes, they do pop up occasionally for sale at most of the popular LFS, but very often you wouldn't even notice them in LFS tanks because they are so tiny, look like floating bits of twigs. From my experience keeping them so far, i've not actually seen them eat newborn shrimplets because when i observe them, they just seem to be snapping at invisible things on plants or substrate, so i guess they are eating the microscopic creatures. I can't 100% rule out the possibility of them eating newborn shrimplets though, so i just assume they may if given the chance.

If you are keen on them, can buy from places like Green Chapter, they usually have these fishes scattered in all their retail tanks to help eat tiny critters.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice! Was rather worried because I have 4 berried shrimps currently. Probably thinking to wait a little while more before introducing the boraras. Indostomus Paradoxus look pretty exotic. Will dropping by green chapter one of these days to have a look at them! Thanks for the info UA. Hopefully able to control the population of seed shrimp!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe you can try paedocypris progenetica?AKA ruby rasbora.Can buy from GC at macpherson.
    wild bettas,Shellies,herptiles,mudskippers,shrimps

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

saw them a few days back at gc clementi. any idea how effective and how dangerous are they?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They look like they should be able to eat seed shrimp.i feed them with tubi and if they can eat tubi then maybe they can eat seed shrimp too.but I have no idea whether thy eat shrimplets.maybw they will try biting but should give up in awhile as their mouth are quite small.
    wild bettas,Shellies,herptiles,mudskippers,shrimps

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hmmm... most fish eat tubiflex as far as I know... but most fish dont really like seed shrimp. my indostomus paradoxus seems quite cool with baby shrimps. cant really see the impact of it on the seedshrimp. but I guess I have to wait longer or get more of the indostomus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen my puffer wack those seed shrimps.. unfortunately, they also wack the baby shrimps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha puffer literally whack every thing lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yea... but they do the best job. Seriously wiped out all my pests in a matter of days.