Country
    Singapore

TECO TR15 Help...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi AQ Bros, need your your advice.
    I recently bought TECO TR15 from AQ bro here.

have encountered strange issue on this chiller.

Set the Chiller temp 26 degree and temp setting with 1 degree different.

So, theoretically, Chiller will start/kick off when it hits temperature of 27 degree and will stop and change to standby mode when it chilled water to 25 degree.

I did a test in last night on my 3 FT tank, I have fill in 3 quarter, and plus Rockscape, estimate about 150 liter of water, so it should not take too long to chill.

But, it turns out it takes 3 hours to chill and finally the TECO TR15 stop, which the chiller built-in temp shows 27 degree.

I did a further check but using external thermo meter, it should as 22.7 degree. To confirm my unbelievable sight, I used another high-end external pope, it indeed showing the similar number, 23 degree.

Anyone has this similar encounter before ? it is very strange to have such a huge wide range of 4 degree difference, and what even more strange, it is my 3FT tank water is cooler than the water in the chiller itself.

There is no error signal/code and everything in the chiller is looks fine. Hot air when the chiller is working. I can’t figure out any possible issues/problems

A further research on the TR15, it is powerful and can chill up to 4 feet tanks, 90-200 g (1 = 3.8 liter, 270-600 liter).

On 2nd day test
    It takes 1 hours to chill down 29 degree to 26 degree on my 3FT water tank
    and to my horrible surprise the TECO TR15 built-in thermometer shows as 33 degree.

When I touch the surface... It is quite hot...

Thanks in advance bro, for any of your feedback or advices

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: TECO TR15 Help...

If you have the instruction manual, it shows you how to calibrate your chiller's reading to the actual temperature of the tank. That should settle your problem.

If you don't have the manual, believe you can google for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Atolylica,

I did calibrate.. but it does not help.
    Here is what I have done...
    Set the TECO TR15 built-in temperature at 26 degree
    Set the difference variant to 1.0 degree
    Hence, theoretically speaking,

Chiller will start to kick of when the temperature raise to 27 degree (26+1)
    Chiller will stop (and change to standby mode) when temperature drop to 25 degree(26-1)

Is my way of calibration correct ?

My main concern is that the TECO TR15 the top front panel is quite hot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Calibrating your chiller's temperature addresses the problem you mentioned about the 4 degrees difference between chiller reading and your thermometer's reading.
    If this problem is not addressed, your chiller will kick in for a longer period of time than required, which leads to got front panel which you described.

When I mentioned calibrating your chiller, I mean that you can adjust your chiller's reading to what you see on your thermometer. So if you see a +4 degrees difference between your chiller's reading and tank, simply offset it by dialing the reading 4 degrees down.

The kick in at +1 above desired temperature and kick out at desired temperature is correct.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Had a similar issue with my temp controller - fluctuates ! So now I set it to 20.5 to keep tank at 25.5 . Too exp to replace the controller just workaround it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bro Mkt,

Can you share me what is will your chiller kick-in and kick-off time when you set to 20.5 ?
    What could be a issue ?

Flowrate ?
    I am using Eheim Pro 2, 2028, with flowrate 1050 and it is match with the TECO TR15 spec (600-1800 flow rate).

Actually, I m more concern about the top panel hot surface. Not sure it is normal or not.. but after 2 hours chilling of my 150 liter tank, it does bring down 28.5 degree to 25 degree, then, when it off (standby mode), I did a touch of the top surface, it is hot ( I feel like around 40 degree hot).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so, if you can't calibrate the machine properly, how bout calibrating "yourself"? like what you said, set the temperature at 33 degrees, and check the water temperature regularly if it maintains around 26 degrees. if it maintains 26 degrees consistently, then I suppose your second-hand Teco was still worth it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if it is worth is... but I pay $250.
    I m exploring 2 options:

1. bring this Teco for service - Qian Hu.. for sure.. they will charge at least 100++
    2. buy external thermometer pope..., set temperature to 26... and when it chill down the water to 26 degree, it will totally cut of the power. (not sure if this method will wear out the machine faster, because power on and power off so frequently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi my chiller works ok just the temp controller is problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have a strong hunch that it had to do with flow rate. In my opinion, 1000litres thereabout is too low flow rate (plus I don't think it's going at that flow rate with media and stuff inside etc).

I would consider a power head if I were you. (1200 litres onwards?)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i feed my chiller in a sequential connection to a eheim 2217 so far no issue that I'd encountered.

As for the fluctuating temperature controller, it seems to go haywire if i perform a massive water change and the delta is too great.
    It will basically show a incorrect temperature. this is resolved on a trial and error basis to stabilise this "changing" termperature i.e. slowly changing the temperature to kick in...

No rocket science just try and make it work for your setup.

If you do a search perhaps there's a chiller repair guy to fix or service your chiller at home?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Mkt, thanks for your advice.
    Unfortunately, I dont think it make $ sense to have request for the chiller repair guy to fix... it can easily more than $100.
    I just need to bare with the in-perfection...
    The chiller temperature.. is always in 32-35 ranges... despite of the water in the tank is around 25-26.

No matter I I calibrate and sync with the water tank parameter, the chiller temp will jump up by it own..

I am giving up....
    Currently, I m doing the manual on and off power..