Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Is Eheim 2231 Canister Filter too big for 1.5ft tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is Eheim 2231 Canister Filter too big for 1.5ft tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi, my 1.5ft tank is presently using the Dyna overhead filter.

i'm thinking of getting a canister filter instead. will this be too big (capacity, etc) for the tank? i estimate the volume of water to be something like 30liters.

i'd also like to fit in a rainbar to help with aeration.

your advise will be greatly appreciated.

tks!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Coryfav,

Ecco 2231 will be suitable for your tank. I am currently using it for my 2ft tank. Might be selling it if I get my 2028 for my 5 ft and replace my 2231 with my 5ft's 2233.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    coryfav, if it is heavily planted and with enough lights don't think you need aeration, especially if plants are bubbling.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hee, hee, hwchoy, i not in planted tank yet. pei se...[]

mine is just a 1.5ft tank with a betta, 4 corydoras, 3 kuhli and some neon tetras. plants are java ferns and nana. light only normal 11w, no co2 so no bubble.[:]

with an overhead filter, the surface water seems to be stagnant and fish not very happy.

thanks, kingpin! just got from b328. i know petmart will be cheaper, but i tomorrow on leave so bought today will have time to figure the stuff out.

hope it'll not be too strong for my betta.)[:0] maybe i can face the rainbar 45deg upwards and create a fountain?

(hmm, b328 selling eheim tubing 12/16mm for $3 per meter and i bought brandless one (softer though) from lor halus for $1 per foot![] )
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/25/2002 2:50:28 PM

hope it'll not be too strong for my betta.)[:0] maybe i can face the rainbar 45deg upwards and create a fountain?
    ----------------
    yah you can experiment with the angle of the rainbar, I don't think you want to go as far as 45deg there maybe too much splashing. Also as your water evaporates the splashing will get harder.

What I do is have the rainbar just under the water line, then you can adjust for the amount of water movement by changing the angle, and soften the splashes by draping hornwort between the rainbar and the glass. Good place to put the hornwort anyway.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks! ecco is up and running!

hey, with ecco, i can just fill up the canister by moving the handle at an angle. so easy!!!

with my 2224, i've to pump out from the outlet and thus each time have to pull out the outlet tube from the rainbar. boy, that's no easy task!

any advise how i should do it?

is the ecco range newer than the 2224 range?

cheers, and good morning to one and all!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't need to put out the outlet tube everytime. The 2224 is just a bigger version of the 2222 right?

So:

1. turn off the output valve
    2. turn off the input valve
    3. turn off the filter power (1, 2, 3 will basically trap water in the hoses)
    4. disconnect the hoses through the integrated nozzle unit
    5. clean the filter, fill back with water
    6. put back the cover, wipe dry any overflowing water (there should be else you are not filling up the filter properly and trapping air)
    7. put back the nozzle unit
    8. turn on power
    9. turn on input valve
    10. turn on output valve
    11. voila!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    roughly how much u be selling it? Kingpin?
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks, hwchoy!!! so the trick is to fill up the canister after all the cleaning, right?

er, maybe silly question - does it make any difference, whether i switch on/off the in/out first?

one more question. the ecco 2231 has a carbon filter pad. the manual said to change every 2 weeks, but a lfs said 3 months. advise, please?

tks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/26/2002 9:19:16 PM

er, maybe silly question - does it make any difference, whether i switch on/off the in/out first?

----------------
    coryfav, for the Eheim Pro, it is stated (on the box) that you can use the OUTPUT valve lever to control the flowrate. It also states you must not stop the flow by closing the INPUT valve. Thus, the proper procedure should be to close the OUTPUT first then the INPUT. When starting the flow again, should be the reverse, thus opening the INPUT first, then opening the OUTPUT.

However, I do know of people who have use the INPUT valve to help control flowrate with apparently no bad effect.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/26/2002 6:20:30 PM

roughly how much u be selling it? Kingpin?
    ----------------
    Kelstorm,

I cannot sell the filter yet. Havent got another filter to replace it. Will let you know once I decide to sell.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sure thing.. hahah....
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Coryfav,

How much did you pay for your Ecco 2231? and where did you buy it? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    opps! chaq, missed your mail earlier, was glancing thru 2233 articles when i saw it! sorry![]

got my 2231 from b328 clementi at $138.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks ... i am searching high and low for this model since i have a small 1.5 ft tank like yours too. The lfs i found to have this model wants to sell me for $190 ... i was rather amazed becos 2233 was selling for $205

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [:0] like daylight robbery!!! i just read in another forum that 2233 cost something like $150 leh!

anyway, maybe can get slightly lower prices at petmart/bedoknorth/toapayoh but my b328 $138 was most convenient at that time.

i now checking up 2233 for my (still begging for permission) "dream" 2ft tank...[]