Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To Start a 4ft Planter Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I'm newbie. Interested to set up a 4ft planted tank. Read quite some articles already but still fail to get a clear picture.
    Since it's not a cheap hobby, I am hoping to prevent a disaster...so I appreciate advice from all the old birds here.

Tank
    4 x 1.5 x 1.5 - is this size suitable for planted tanks? Seems uncommon.
    Any recommendations where i can custom-make such tank (with cabinet and hood) - together with all accessories from one place?

Filter
    Planning to use external canister type.
    Is such filter suitable?
    Any recommendations on good brands/models?

CO2
    Is this required for 4ft planted tanks?
    Understand that plants grow very very slow without this.

Lighting
    Plan to use T5 tubes.
    Can the tank maker integrate space to accommodate light tubes in the tank hood?
    Is it recommended in the first place? Heard it will trap heat within the tank.

That should be enough to get me started on deciding on the tank.
    Thanks in advance for valuable advice!

htc2013

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: To Start a 4ft Planter Tank

Quote Originally Posted by htc2013 View Post
    Hi all, I'm newbie. Interested to set up a 4ft planted tank. Read quite some articles already but still fail to get a clear picture.
    Since it's not a cheap hobby, I am hoping to prevent a disaster...so I appreciate advice from all the old birds here.
    Mishaps will happen no matter how well you plan. It is just a matter of how big or small and whether you are ready for it.

Tank
    4 x 1.5 x 1.5 - is this size suitable for planted tanks? Seems uncommon.
    Any recommendations where i can custom-make such tank (with cabinet and hood) - together with all accessories from one place?
    No. It is not uncommon. 1.5ft is actually a good height balance between space and scaping. You can try CR Aquarium or N30 for your custom made tank and cabinet. If you want a one-stop shop for getting everything, maybe you can consider getting someone to do it for you. I am not sure if CR Aquarium and N30 will do it for you. You got to check with them.

Filter
    Planning to use external canister type.
    Is such filter suitable?
    Any recommendations on good brands/models?
    In my humble opinion, canister filters are the best for planted tanks. The enclosed design lessen the unnecessary loss of CO2 through water surface aeration. Eheim is the established brand with reliability and energy efficiency.

CO2
    Is this required for 4ft planted tanks?
    Understand that plants grow very very slow without this.
    It depends on the plants that you are intending to keep. It is true that most plant growth would be slower and also less lush but it is still possible to have a planted tank without CO2.

Lighting
    Plan to use T5 tubes.
    Can the tank maker integrate space to accommodate light tubes in the tank hood?
    Is it recommended in the first place? Heard it will trap heat within the tank.
    Yes. Your tank maker should be flexible to integrate your lighting system in your hood. No problem about trapped heat if you have a well-designed hood. But take note that it would help greatly if you can buy the lighting system first, then pass them onto your tank maker for them to build it together with the tank. They might also just take measurements first and then install it later upon delivery.

That should be enough to get me started on deciding on the tank.
    Thanks in advance for valuable advice!

htc2013
    Let us know if you need more help. In the meantime, you can browse and view the other member's tank thread here in the forum. You can check out mine in the link below.

I noted that you are a new member and still do not have access to the private message function. Maybe you can drop me an email at [email protected] and I can help you further with your project.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

MuarChee has given some good advice. Maybe I can try to add on

My experience with hooded tanks was not a good one. The hood tends to trap heat which can make growing plants much more difficult. Especially with T5 lights.
    If you really want a hood, make sure you ensure it is well ventilated. Alternatively, consider getting a chiller.

I agree with Muar Chee that canister filters are the best for planted tanks. For such a large tank I would recommend getting 2 canister filters to have sufficient flow. Personally I would get 2 Eheim 2217 canisters.

For better control of the parameters and easier plant growth, you should really consider getting CO2.
    Cheers,
    JJ

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For lighting,go for led if your budget allows you.
    You save a lot in a long run.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For tank, take note of normal and crystal glass. Difference is normal grade will be greenish and crystal grade is clearer. For 4 ft, normally tank maker will recommend 10-12 mm thickness and normal grade glass will make the look with planted tank even more greenish. Planted tank is not recommended to have full cover hood due to heat and ease of maintenance. With hood, you cannot consider those nice lily pipes that is inserted from the side. end up with either rain bar or additional piping if you still insist on lily outlet(Borneowild does have a model that is not U shaped). Take note of the bracing too. Most people prefer no bracing for plans to put things at the side.

For filters, Ehiem is your best bet. Classic series are good and still on the affordable side for most people. Your tank is around 240L, 64 US gallon. select the total water turn over rate of 5 to 10 times your tank volume. Try using 2 filter for better flow rate. Classic 2217 is 1000L/hr and Classic 2215 is 620L/hr. If budget allows, better to over filter. Adding quick release double tap for classic models to me is a must have accessories, advantage is that it helps to control water leakage during maintenance, help priming and can control the amount of flow. Some lfs sell classics model without filter media at lower price(about $40 lesser).

CO2 is consider a must have to most planted tank. Without CO2, growth can be slow to snail speed, algae maybe hard to control and plants selection will be limited. It greatly depend on the lights that you are getting. Stronger lights matched with higher CO2 requirement. Plants photosynthesis depends on the amount of light available, then with that amount of light, starts taking in nutrients (like CO2, ferts). Go for solenoid regulator type which can allow you to set the on/off timing with an additional timer. Decide on the type of CO2 distribution method before buying the regulator. Example atomizer requires higher pressure and normal glass diffusor only need standard pressure. So far the best CO2 disolve rate method according to most expert on this forum is through inline diffusor and CO2 reactor.

Lightings is consider the most critical item to me. T5 is cheap and good but gives out a lot of heat and draws more electricity. You need to replace the tubes about once per year for optimal performance. Once again, would recommend not to house a T5 with a covered tank unless your tank is in an air conditioned room. For LED, your tank height does have some LED suitable for it at lower cost($100+), if you have the budget, higher end LED come with intensity control and build in timer($500+). For a beginner, I would suggest to get the T5 tubes (without tank cover), if after some time, you still interested in this hobby and have better knowledge on planted tank, then start investing on better equipment.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to AQ.... direct jumping into a big tank like 4ft is not an easy task... well you can refer to my signature below for the info you required...

Plan your budgeting and consult your family members before you start your buying spree... such a big tank will require space, time,effort and money to run it properly

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yah, agree with Wongce, it is better to start with a smaller tank..
    along the way you can consider upgrading to 4 ft as you wish....

or

Take some time and browse around AQ before you make your personal decision. Good luck to you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you all for those valuable advice!

muarchee, thank you so much for offering your help. I will definitely need more along the way...
    wongce, actually most of the knowledge i have were obtained from your blog. very well prepared for ppl like me.

currently, i'm researching on hardwares - trying to fit into a budget of less than $2500 for initial setup.
    now i realise with a smaller tank, everything else is cheaper...decisions, decisions, decisions....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

currently, i'm researching on hardwares - trying to fit into a budget of less than $2500 for initial setup.
    now i realise with a smaller tank, everything else is cheaper...decisions, decisions, decisions....
    But the overall picture will not be as nice as a bigger tank. Poison, Poison, Poison. #youarewelcome
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you start small and your passion persist you will end up paying more to upgrade...gauge your desires...i suppose

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you are starting from ground zero i.e. you do not have any aquarium equipment at all, then budgeting $2.5k for a 4 footer seems very tight. I'm saying that because my 2 footer setup which I've acquired 3 mths back (also from ground zero as well), including all necessary hardware and plants etc, already set me back by more than $2k. And no, I'm not having those fancy ADA tank, lights or pipes (though I do have some ADA stuffz but they are like soil, tubes etc, those smaller ticket items) but i do have the full works like cyrstal tank with customised cabinet, chiller, CO2 with solenoid, ehiem filter, decent looking LED lights, various essential minerals as soil base etc. So, with your idea of 4 footer, you would need to spend much more on tank and cabinet, bigger / more filters, bigger chiller (if you intend to get 1 to begin with), much more soil, much more hardscape etc etc, you get the drift. That said, $2.5k is not mission impossible, you will just need to manage your expectations as well as your purchase =)

Budget aside, I would recommend you to get all the necessary items from 1 reliable shop, so they can better advise you on things that you need / dont need, and ofcourse, for better negotiating power. Good luck and have fun =)

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

2 feet is a good start for a beginner,IMHO 1k is sufficient to start from zero minus the fancy cabinet,chiller and get yourself a second hand Co2 cylinder set.
    What is important is the tank itself,filtration unit and lights.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

wongce, actually most of the knowledge i have were obtained from your blog. very well prepared for ppl like me.

I am glad you appreciate what i wrote, some people say i " Beh Paiseh" to direct newbie to my blog...well i gain nothing ( no money; not even free teh tarik) from my blog,my aim is to share knowledge but i am not as hardworking as bro UrbanAquaria...I am lazy to retype everything whenever someone ask similar questions...

for starters, you may want to start small..lets say 2 feet tank to get the hang of it... fertilizer regime, water changes, fauna care, troubleshooting, bug catching ( literally catches one).... after you think you are ready, upgrade slowly ( save up at the same time).

Take note:- big aquarium comes with big responsibility... lol....

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wongce View Post
    ...but i am not as hardworking as bro UrbanAquaria...
    Ha nor. Idol ho eh.

I am lazy to retype everything whenever someone ask similar questions...
    Copy-and-Paste. Bodo peh Kambeng.

Take note:- big aquarium comes with big responsibility... lol....
    But it will be nicer. Poison, poison, poison. #youarewelcome

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dear muar_chee did i ever step on your tail or offended you before? Its there a need for personal attack?

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dear muar_chee did i ever step on your tail or offended you before? Its there a need for personal attack?

Sorry. You never did step my tail. You never did offend me. No personal attack as intended.

I took your 'teh tarik' reference and responded to you machiam SMRT Ltd (Feedback).

I will cut back on my tone with you in future. Sincere Apologies.
    Last edited by mUAr_cHEe; 21st Nov 2014 at 08:39. Reason: grammer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi HTC2013, I just made the decision to downsize my 422 (10mm thickness) cabinet tank set today. You may consider if you don't mind starting up with a used tank set. The tank if from N30 and it comes with hood that I never use.

Item includes
    Ehiem Pro 2 2028 Filter with full media (The primer is faulty but the filter can still be start up)
    4ft T5 lights (4 Light Tube / 2 switch)
    Pre Filter
    CO2 Tank with Solenoid (The meter for is faulty)
    Lots of drift woods (Includes several large one)
    Lots of other accessories
    8 large bag of GEX soil in the tank but I suggest you purchase new soil.

i am letting go the everything at $350. Need to arrange your own transport (lift level).
    The tank is about 4 yrs plus old but in good condition but the down size is that you will need to wash it
    before you can setup. You may view before you decide. ( Location : Tampines)
    Letting go as a full set, no separate sales for now.

Hi Moderator, my apologies if this shouldn't be posted here. You may remove it if necessary.
    Thank you.

muarchee, thank you so much for offering your help. I will definitely need more along the way...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Attachment 45262

Picture of the tank (before planting). Sorry I don't have the full tank shot in my iPad right now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another black silicon tank! I thought I was alone!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I love the tank but I have lesser time for it nowadays that why I am selling it away.
    Thinking of switching playground to nano shrimps tank, at least there is something to play with when my fingers get itchy.

Reducing the price to $300 now.

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    Another black silicon tank! I thought I was alone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast