Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Twinstar sending voltage current into water always.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Twinstar sending voltage current into water always.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have Twinstar mini and today I felt the water I noticed a tingling sensation. Usually I don't feel anything. It appears that my finger has a cut so I could detect it. Putting other fingers does not induce the tingly feeling.

So my question is, is my Twinstar faulty? Even when it's off there is a current being sent into the water..? You can only feel it if you have a cut on your finger.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Twinstar sending voltage current into water always.

it's not faulty, if i remember correctly, instructions says not to put open wound into water when twinstar is active

also recall this theory of twinstar using electricity to break down water molecules

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Berny View Post
    it's not faulty, if i remember correctly, instructions says not to put open wound into water when twinstar is active

also recall this theory of twinstar using electricity to break down water molecules
    But, the current is on always, not just when the twinstar is operational. Is that normal, to constantly have a current in the water I can feel through my little cut. I would image livestock would feel it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

livestocks will not get electrical shocks underwater, unless, they met certain criteria. i remember there was a debate about human getting shock vs fishes vs plecos getting electrocuted.

to play safe, probably you can call up the lfs which you purchased the twinstar from and ask?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Twinstar sending voltage current into water always.

Primary school physics -
    Why fishes in the sea don't get electrocuted when lighting strikes the vast oceans since water is a good conductor of electricity?

Because electricity requires a closed circuit to travel. Fishes are not grounded, but you are, hence electricity will flow through you, thus electrocuting.
    Another reason is because electricity disperse in a huge volume of water (like an ocean), compared to a small volume of water (like an aquarium).

Same theory as to why birds can perch on electricity wires and not get electrocuted.
    Last edited by atolylica; 28th Nov 2014 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Berny View Post

Thats an interesting concept... just curious, how come it only affects open wounds, but not unbroken skin?

I would assume if there is an electrical current in the water, anytime you touch it with bare hands you should feel the sting (like what happens when a submersed pump or heater has damaged or faulty wiring).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    Primary school physics -
    Why fishes in the sea don't get electrocuted when lighting strikes the vast oceans since water is a good conductor of electricity?

Because electricity requires a closed circuit to travel. Fishes are not grounded, but you are, hence electricity will flow through you, thus electrocuting.
    Another reason is because electricity disperse in a huge volume of water (like an ocean), compared to a small volume of water (like an aquarium).

Same theory as to why birds can perch on electricity wires and not get electrocuted.
    Good info, I too forgot about this part. On the same note on current, I seems to feel current (tingling effect) on my stainless steel outlet pipe whenever the underside of my arm touches it slightly after connecting to a chiller. Is the lower temperature creating static or just norm?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by atolylica View Post
    Primary school physics -

Hm, so what if I'm wearing rubber shoes, standing on wooden floors? Still grounded? What If I jump up with my finger in the aquarium? Either way the current seems quite strong, but again I only feel it via the cut. I still feel it's odd that the system dosn't shut the current off when not in use. I doubt my device is faulty as it seems to work just fine. Just found it rather surprising.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim5 View Post
    Hm, so what if I'm wearing rubber shoes, standing on wooden floors? Still grounded? What If I jump up with my finger in the aquarium? Either way the current seems quite strong, but again I only feel it via the cut. I still feel it's odd that the system dosn't shut the current off when not in use. I doubt my device is faulty as it seems to work just fine. Just found it rather surprising.
    Since the non-conductors (rubber shoes and wooden floor) prevents the circuit from being closed, electricity doesn't flow through you. So theoretically, you will not be electrocuted.

My guess is that with the cut, your blood (which is water) is exposed to the water, resulting in the tingling that you feel.

Perhaps the culprit is not your Twinstar, it could be some other equipments causing electricity to be flowing within the aquarium water?

Also be sure the keep your surrounding areas dry while doing maintenance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Or maybe the threadstarter is a mutant?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

just turn off your equipment one by one, you should be able to isolate which of your equipment that causing it.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    just turn off your equipment one by one, you should be able to isolate which of your equipment that causing it.
    It's the twinstar 100%. I tested it. You need to have a cut to feel it, but the water has a current always, regardless if the device is on or off.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I recently felt electric current in my tank too. I used a test pen on the tank's glass & stand and it lighted up( do it at night)
    the source came from my sunon aquarium fan due to exposed pin
    Sharing is Caring

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim5 View Post
    It's the twinstar 100%. I tested it. You need to have a cut to feel it, but the water has a current always, regardless if the device is on or off.
    i won't place hand inside a fish tank if got cut , got a lot funny bacteria inside , warranty have to send back to korea ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    i won't place hand inside a fish tank if got cut , got a lot funny bacteria inside...
    Yeah, i read about the bacterial infections people can get from their fish tanks. I'm also cautious of sticking any of my fingers or hands thats have cuts into the tank water, thats why i buy super long 40cm length pincettes to do most of my aquarium work.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_marinum
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, i read about the bacterial infections people can get from their fish tanks. I'm also cautious of sticking any of my fingers or hands thats have cuts into the tank water, thats why i buy super long 40cm length pincettes to do most of my aquarium work.
    I have a 60cm tweezer...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    I have a 60cm tweezer...
    Wow, i should get that too... can confirm maintain tank without getting fingers wet.
    www.urbanaquaria.com