Country
    Singapore

Canister Filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I'm using an old fluval 305 from my previous tank. My new tank is only 5 US gallon. I'm using the lily pipe spin which reduces the flow rate but flow still seems too strong for this small tank.

The fluval 305 is also making rattling noise. Probably the impeller and shaft are worn out. It will cost about $50 to replace them. So i was wondering if i should replace the parts or get myself another filter? I'm considering getting either the fluval 105/106 or eheim 2211.

What do you suggest? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Canister Filter

If it costs $50 to repair, then it's probably better to just buy another working canister filter... maybe can look out for 2nd hand ones, can sometimes get used eheim 2211 or 2213 still in good condition at nice prices.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if indeed the impeller is making the noise. Ascertain the size and you may find it in LFS or Online eg Aliexpress etc.
    Impellers are common components which are supplied by OEM manufacturers.

There are only one or two moving parts in a pump, chances are impeller or less likely bearing (hardly used in aqua pump).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

fluval impeller cost about S$30/-. Unless you are also getting the impeller cover.
    Sometimes is not the impeller that is making the sound, but is the spoil impeller cover.
    Fluval canister is infamous for their "weak" cover.
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advices

The rattling noise has settled down quite a lot (definitely not trapped air). The impeller is chipped and a tiny crack on the well cover This filter is 2.5 yrs old and i've never replaced any of the parts. It'll cost about $50 for the impeller, shaft and well cover if i get them from overseas.

I'm in a dilemma whether to get the parts and save the $ for other stuffs or get a new/2nd hand eheim 2213/fluval 106 filter.

AquStockImage.php.png

I'm intending to keep these fishes. Do you think the fluval 305's flow would be too strong for them?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by asd09 View Post

AquStockImage.php.png

I'm intending to keep these fishes. Do you think the fluval 305's flow would be too strong for them?
    Considering the on-paper specs of the Fluval 305 flow rate listed as 1,000 l/ph... for your 36+ cm length 20 liter tank, I guess you'll have to adjust the flow much lower and find ways to moderate or baffle the current to cater for that smaller tank size.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

As UA said, look out for a 2211 or 2213 in used condition. Periodically, people do sell these filters at approx 50 to 80 dollars. And I reckon these would be more appropriate for your tank.
    I got my 2211 for my 1 ft cube tank for $50 3 months back.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used my 2213 on a similar tank size.. the flow rate of 2213 is quite high but by using a double tap on the inlet, i was able to control the flow quite nicely. Keep reducing the flow till the filter does not make weird noises and you are good to go.
    Link to the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i'm using a fluval 404 for 5 years, the rattling noise most likely comes from the crack cover, once you change that it will have less noise.
    So far i have not change the impeller but have changed 4 impeller cover due to crack. will be retiring this filter if it crack again.
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hey, there is someone selling 2213 with lily pipes below 80 bucks. Just nice, you can check it out.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The 2213 was sold on that very day. Was too late by the time i saw your post

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi asd09, I've 2211 & 2213 to let if you still looking for it. Please private message me your contact for further discussion, thanks
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk