Country
    Singapore

Planning for Low Tech Planted Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I thought it would be more appropriate to continue my previous thread here.

Context: Setting up a easy to maintain nano tank in office.

Tank: Looking at one that is 30cm x 19cm x 26cm = 14.8L / 3.8 Gallon

Filter: Looking at Shiruba X301 to provide 240L/hr

I'm currently researching on lights & substrate and would like some advise.

Lights
    LEDs seems ideal however it is very pricey. I'm not prepared to spend so much on my first foray.

Based on 1.5 - 2 WPG approximation for low tech tanks, I would need approx 6 watts.
    I was wondering:
    (1) 6 watts lighting seems difficult to come by unless it is household lights. Would those be ok?

Substrate
    I notice many people go for ADA Amanozia. I also notice that there are aquasoil for both plants and soil.
    My plan is to add in some (hardy) shrimps for algae control after 1 -2 months.
    (2) Any (cheap) appropriate substrate to recommend?

*Flora: Substrate is also determinate of the flora. I've haven't really started on this. But my preliminary idea include xmas moss and an undecided carpet plant.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planning for Low Tech Planted Tank

for office tank , personally i will go for a up aqua z 30 cm and hang on filter , not sure if y618 still sell loose ada aquasoil , maybe you can check with them

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think Y618 do sell loose package of ADA soil as i saw loose package there
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey meepokman, if you are planning to use moss as carpet, I can suggest you to just use any substrate can be sand, rocks, etc. Just get a mesh, cut to size and tie your moss to it and let it grow, leave a hole for the drift wood from what I see your inspiration at the last thread. But if you are looking at growing carpet plants on the ground, like Monte Carlo, I think ada powder soil will be a better option. Up aqua z series is a good option to go with. don't save on the equipments.
    Last edited by Pobbi; 14th Dec 2014 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limz_777 View Post
    for office tank , personally i will go for a up aqua z 30 cm and hang on filter , not sure if y618 still sell loose ada aquasoil , maybe you can check with them
    I've seen a lot of people recommend up-aqua z 30cm. However, I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend $47 for a 10.7W led.

I saw a 4.8W led lamp going for $23.00 at Seaview. Would that be under-powered?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It all depends on the plant you planning to keep. If you are going to go with moss, I think most moss dont require much light. Decent amount will do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

At the moment, I'm thinking of:
    (1) Christmas Moss on branch.
    (2) Bacopa 'compact' as carpet.

Low light + low CO2.

Is GEX sufficient?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Christmas moss should do fine. Haven't tried bacopa, thinking your tank height is 19cm , might work. Under low light conditions, instead of horizontal growth ,it might grow vertically. Co2 wise shouldn't be a problem.

One thing to note is coarse soil will take a very long time to carpet. And dosage of shrimpsafe ferts will definitely help. If you are planning to keep shrimps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are keeping those less light demanding plants like anubias, java ferns or mosses, then the cheaper and lower-powered Top Aqua LED V-LED-A30 model can work quite well, check this link for the model (http://www.top-aqua.com/image/top-led-001.jpg). If i remember correctly, it costs around S$24 at Seaview and after their 15% discount, works out to only around S$20.40.

Btw, the "watt per gallon" rule doesn't really apply to LED lights or for small nano tanks (WPG rule is meant for older fluorescent lights and larger tanks)... you'll have to reference what LED lights others have used successfully for their nano tanks with similar layouts to find the right combination.

Gex soil is okay, but for around the same cost might as well get ADA Amazonia aquasoil (it lasts much longer and contains more nutrients).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm going to start scaping my low tech nano tank (30 x 17 x 20 cm).

The plants I'm planning are:
    Foreground / carpet - Bacopa monnieri 'compact' (Low light, low CO2)
    Background - Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' (medium light, medium CO2)
    'Tree' - Java Moss (low light, low CO2)
    Supporting - 1 or 2 Limnophila sessiliflora (low light, low CO2)

Any comments on my choice of plants?
    Last edited by meepokman; 18th Dec 2014 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by meepokman View Post
    I'm going to start scaping my low tech nano tank (30 x 17 x 20 cm).

The plants I'm planning are:
    Foreground / carpet - Bacopa monnieri 'compact' (Low light, low CO2)
    Background - Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' (medium light, medium CO2)
    'Tree' - Java Moss (low light, low CO2)
    Supporting - 1 or 2 Limnophila sessiliflora (low light, low CO2)

Any comments on my choice of plants?
    The plant selection looks alright for the tank setup, just some additional pointers...

I've tried growing bacopa monnieri 'compact' before (assuming you are referring to the Tropica version) and it actually does eventually grow to around 10+cm in height and taller, so its not exactly a foreground plant (especially not in a nano tank with only 20cm height, after you add in substrate and factor in the water level, the overall available height space is actually much less)... unless you keep trimming it short, which will be extra work. Maybe you should shift it to the mid-ground or even background instead.

Eleocharis sp 'mini' (again assuming its the Tropica version) is a good plant for nano tanks as it stays nice and short without requiring constant trimming, so its more suitable as the foreground carpet. But note that if your tank doesn't have Co2 injection, the growth rate would be much slower than the other plants, so you'll have to give it more time to grow out.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I've tried growing bacopa monnieri 'compact' before (assuming you are referring to the Tropica version) and it actually does eventually grow to around 10+cm in height and taller, so its not exactly a foreground plant (especially not in a nano tank with only 20cm height, after you add in substrate and factor in the water level, the overall available height space is actually much less)... unless you keep trimming it short, which will be extra work. Maybe you should shift it to the mid-ground or even background instead.

Eleocharis sp 'mini' (again assuming its the Tropica version) is a good plant for nano tanks as it stays nice and short without requiring constant trimming, so its more suitable as the foreground carpet. But note that if your tank doesn't have Co2 injection, the growth rate would be much slower than the other plants, so you'll have to give it more time to grow out.
    Thank you for the pointers

Yes, I'm aware I would need to keep trimming Bacopa 'mini'. Even more so under low light situation as it would climb upwards.

I was contemplating HC for foreground. However, HC need high light and high CO2 to grow well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try monte carlo. It's the best non-co2 carpeting plant out there imho If you exclude java moss from the list.

1ft T5HO light fixtures are very cheap as well btw. Normally comes with double bulb 6W each. If you find it very strong, you can always turn off one of the bulbs. I think price is around 25$ or less if i'm not wrong.
    Check aquazonic brand for this item, available afaik from seaview, Y618, C328.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As with life, some just doesn't work out as planned.

I went shopping for substrate, filter media, lights and plants for my new tank.
    Managed to get some nice looking red rocks for my hard scape.

hardscape.jpg

It was easy to 'internet' shop for plants. But what's 'available' online doesn't necessarily mean it is available in real life.

Was able to locate Bacopa monnieri 'compact and Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' at Fishy Business. No doubt, the plants available were top quality. However, I weren't ready to spend 10++ for a pot of plant. At least not for my first tank.

I ended up at Seaview shopping for most of my stuff. However, the staff weren't very knowledgable about the plants and their names. I had identify some of the plants with my 'gut feel'.

I purchased 2 plants:
    (1) Monte Carlo
    (2) Limnophila 'mini'

Picture below shows me semi-dry start them while I soak & leech my stones.
    dry-start.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

those 2 plants are great choices mate. Looking forward to your day 1 pictures

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Your rocks look like they may leech chemicals into water. Do a test with vinegar first... I bought those at c328 before and they reacted with vinegar which makes it unsuitable for planted tank.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians View Post
    Your rocks look like they may leech chemicals into water. Do a test with vinegar first... I bought those at c328 before and they reacted with vinegar which makes it unsuitable for planted tank.
    Tested with vinegar and nothing happened. No bubbles, no changes. I guess it's safe?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Transferred my plants and hardscaped my tanks today.

The semi-Dry start was effective as the plants' roots were growing despite only 5 days. That helped in my transfer as the roots were able to anchor.

Step 1: Hard scape
    pre-water.jpg

Step 2: Transferring the plants
    planted.jpg

planted-top.jpg

View with LED lights
    lighted.jpg

Not sure if I planted the monte carlos correctly as the roots are tiny and short.