Singapore

Queries about shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

need some assistance about shrimps.

1) will assasin snails kill the shrimps?
    2) if I keep 3 or 4 types of shrimps, will they cross breed?
    3) was told that there shld not be any fishes in the shrimp tank as they will be stressed by the presence and will stop them from breeding. Wondering is this true ?

thks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Queries about shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    Hi,

3) was told that there shld not be any fishes in the shrimp tank as they will be stressed by the presence and will stop them from breeding. Wondering is this true ?

thks
    Assassin snails wouldn't actively hunt shrimps, the healthy shrimps are much faster and can easily escape the snails anyways... only if a shrimp is weak or dying (or already dead), then assassin snails will help clean up the carcass.

Whether the shrimps will crossbreed depends on their type and genus, you can refer to this chart to find out: http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20...nterbreed.html (you can also just do a google search to find many other charts too)

If you want to minimize stress and maximize breeding/shrimplet survival rate, then its definitely best not to have any fishes in the tank... though fishes like otocinclus are confirmed safe with shrimps and shrimplets, so they are often kept in shrimp tanks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have assassin snail with my shrimps. The shrimps are disturbing the snail more than the snail disturbing them.
    They are picking algae off the snail, riding on their shell etc. Don't see much problem.

As for fishes, best is don't add any. If you need to add, few things need to be taken care of.

1 ) Make sure the shrimps have hiding place
    2 ) Fish to be as small in size as possible.
    3) Keep only a small number of fishes. Hunter has to be a lot less in quantity than the hunted.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    Hi,

thks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro UA, good table in the link on keeping different shrimps....thanks!

Bro instinctloh, if you planning to have fish with shrimps, one suggestion is the boraras family. They are small. I have these with my cherry red and so far no issues. Of course tank is planted with many plants too. Never had issue with the fish, assasin snail and shrimps fighting over food, except of course if the shrimps are the big yamotos.....then it's a different story!