Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Will female shrimp carry eggs without male shrimp?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Will female shrimp carry eggs without male shrimp?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What I meant is, will female shrimp carry eggs(non-fertile egg) even without male shrimp around?

Like hen laying egg without rooster. I like to know because, if I have one shrimp in my tank (cherry), if it doesn't carry eggs for 6months, then it is male, otherwise it is female. Sound stupid but need help, is that a right conclusion? Can someone advice please?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It sound silly but I really like to know, can anyone advice?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11032

I saw mosquito shrimps and cherry chrimps mating doggy style before, so chances are that without a male, the eggs will never move down to the swimmerets. But for Yamato, I read that the male fertilizes the eggs after they move to the swimmerets, so maybe a female may move the eggs down to her swimmerets, but wait in vain for a does of sperm.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Will female shrimp carry eggs without male shrimp?

[quote:688aee0c65="eric_kclee"]will female shrimp carry eggs(non-fertile egg) even without male shrimp around?[/quote:688aee0c65]

for this question, i do not have the answer so can't help u on that....

[quote:688aee0c65="eric_kclee"]if it doesn't carry eggs for 6months, then it is male, otherwise it is female.[/quote:688aee0c65]

as for this statement, theoretically sounds correct but I have another way of looking at it.... if the lone shrimp carries eggs, it is confirm a female, but if it doesn't, it doesn't mean it is definitely male, cos simply there are females that r infertile and unable to bear young.... :P
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've a feeling it's impossbile... shrimps are a higher life form than stuff like amoeba that can reproduce asexually ( is this the word? :P )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:3ebc1c5e60="|squee|"]I've a feeling it's impossbile... shrimps are a higher life form than stuff like amoeba that can reproduce asexually ( is this the word? :P )[/quote:3ebc1c5e60]

I am not saying that it can reproduce. I am thinking whether female shrimp could carry 'un-fertile' egg at the belly even without male around. I know that the egg will not be fertile and thus will not hatch. Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oopsy daisy