Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Upside Down Catfish, Glass Catfish, and Cherry Shrimp

Upside Down Catfish, Glass Catfish, and Cherry Shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, am looking to keep these 3 types of fish/shrimp in my 75 gallon tank. Has anyone every kept these fish together? I've heard that Glass Catfish may eat small fish, and that Upside Down Catfish may become agressive. Any advice is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Upside Down Catfish, Glass Catfish, and Cherry Shrimp

I think the cherry shrimp won't be suitable for such a setup as they are likely to be preyed on. Unless you put a lot of plants inside for them to hide, few shrimps will survive.

As for compatibility, considering the large size of your tank, it should not be an issue. As glass catfish and upside down catfish occupy different areas of the tank, there is a lower chance of conflict too.

However, as glass catfish prefer a lower pH of about 6, since they live in blackwater areas, whereas upside down catfish prefer a higher pH of about 8, as they live in lake tanganyika, you might have to compromise on both species' pH requirements if you were to put them together.

Will they be preyed on by both species of catfish? Have planted dwarf hairgrass and monte carlo in the tank, will that be enough? Ah, didn't think of the pH requirements - I'd better research more on the fish! Thanks

Would Amano shrimp be a better choice?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Amano shrimps will uproot your dwarf hair grass and monte carlo

:0 really? I was advised to use amano shrimp to help control algae. What about nerite snails?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can use amano shrimps... just that as seudzar mentioned, they are larger and have more strength to accidentally uproot the more delicate plants like hairgrass or monte carlo as they pick and graze amongst the plants (especially if those plants were only recently added and haven't fully rooted in yet).

If your hairgrass and monte carlo have already established for a while and rooted in securely, then it'll be much less of an issue.

Nerite snails are a good choice too, they are very efficient algae eaters, but there is a chance they may also lay white eggs on the tank glass, hardscape and plants (depending on whether you have male or female nerite snails the tank). The eggs need brackish water to hatch though, so will not hatch in freshwater conditions, but they are difficult to remove so some people find them unsightly.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Ah, I see. I will add them when my plants are more established then For snails, the most important issue for me is that they don't breed - I don't want a snail problem as I've been reading that many people do, especially with MTS. I hate touching snails, so would hate to have to see and remove so many! Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, if you are lucky and manage to get only male nerite snails... then there'll be no unsightly eggs at all + excellent algae eaters.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Hello, I under this forum doesn't allow shrimps sales. Can anyone else direct me to any other platform that provides shrimp sales by other hobbyist? I'm looking for CRS. ):

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Google will be your friend

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Upsidedown catfish is a no-no. It will eat the shrimp and gets pretty big.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.