Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

help needed! Co2 question!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, first time using pressurized CO2, moved on from DIY Co2.

Bought a used tank + manual single gauge regulator from carousell a few days ago.

The reading on the gauge was 0kg/cm2, I think it was empty. Brought it down to Bioplast to refill today, the uncle refilled it for me till about 65kg/cm2 ~ 930psi.

I didn't touch any of the valves after the refilling, walked about for a few hours with the tank, reached home to find that the gauge reading was ~ 15kg/cm2.

At the time of this post, it is currently 0kg/cm2 again... I weighed the tank and it feels a heavier than before I brought it for a refill.

My question is, is my CO2 cylinder leaking? Or is it the regulator?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: help needed! Co2 question!

If its still much heavier than before and the pressure gauge shows 0 pressure, then it might be the gauge issue. You'll have to bring it to a shop to check.

Though you might want to weigh the tank to find out if it is indeed heavier than when it was empty, just abit heavier doesn't count (check what the weight of your empty tank should be), otherwise it could just be most of the gas all leaked out.

Btw, i'm not sure if your single gauge system is the type that show the total pressure or working pressure. If its total pressure, then something is wrong. But if is supposed to show working pressure, then when the main valve is closed its supposed to show 0, since there is no gas output. You'll have to check with the seller.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 6th Jan 2015 at 23:05.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply UA. I read around online that cylinders like these should have been stamped with the tare weight of the empty tank...

However, there are so many numbers on the tank that I can't tell what's what.

Maybe someone here can read it,

It says from L-R,

CO2-1.3 IP250 2129 V2.0 I 4.97 BS5045/1 2006/12

I also read around that 5lb/2l co2 tanks should be about 12lb when empty and 17lb when filled... it looks like its 12lb+- a little bit now... sigh.

I could have bought a bad tank?

Shall bring it down to seaview for a check..

Its a single gauge system that shows the total pressure in kg/cm2 or lb/in2. Tested when I released the main valve a little when the gauge showed 15kg/cm2 when I reached home.

I closed it again, set up the tubings for the cylinder, plugged it all up, realised the gauge read 0kg/cm2 already. Released the main valve after plugging it all in to realise nothing is coming out.
    Last edited by bombomlee; 6th Jan 2015 at 23:21. Reason: reply to UA's updated post

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

When you walked for few hours with the tank, does the main valve close or open?

You can do simple check. First closed the main valve, disconnect the regulator, open the main valve slightly. If it is not empty, you will hear/feel gas rushing out.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Shadow, thanks for the reply.

The main valve was closed all the way with the safety pin locked.

Shall do that in awhile to try.

If I don't hear gas running out, means the cylinder is leaking and I have to dispose of it right?

By the way, the cylinder is the blue type that says CO2 for aquatic plants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I suspect your main valve is not turn on yet. The pressure gauge is connected after your main valve. So when your main valve is off, there is no flow to your gauge hence it shows zero. Try hook up everything and then turn on your main valve. The pressure gauge should react..