Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Should I do wc when cycling tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi any Sufi can advice.understand when doing cycling I should not do wc let the bb established.i just flood my plant tank and the water look cloudy,and I'm using bacterlife from waterlife to establish bb too.should now I should wait for the cloudy water to clear or I can do wc to clear it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Should I do wc when cycling tank

I personally think that there is no need to do water change in the tank during the cycling phase. There would still be a nutrient spike after the water change, so it would be a waste of time, money and water. I have been doing fine with this train of thought.

However, Amano-sama has advised to do daily water changes in the first week of the tank set up. I think this is mainly to prevent or help lessen the algae bloom that is common in new tank set ups.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

At least 50% water change daily for 1st 2 weeks if you can afford the time, if not algae will haunt you later.

7. Many people starting with aquascaping complain about algal bloom and they usually give up when that happens. How do you keep your aquariums algae free and what advice would you give regarding this matter?

I always change plenty of water in the initial weeks. I also use lots of CO2 and don’t add livestock for the first 2 weeks or so because the CO2 is so high. This to allow the plants to adapt and grow much better, making it harder for algae.

When using and enriched soil substrate I will change at least 50% of the water every day for the first week, then every other day for the second week. Then every third day for the third week. After 4 weeks I usually change 50% twice per week, then eventually 50% once a week.

The key with algae is prevention through healthy plant growth and regular maintenance practices. Neglect your plants and algae will punish you!
    From: http://aquascapinglove.com/basics/aq....wVqcIkV2.dpuf

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The "no water change during cycling" advice is usually based on tanks which are just using normal gravel or sand, there is very little starting ammonia in such setups so there is no need to do water changes which may flush out the ammonia that the bacteria need to consume and grow.

But in a tank using active soil like ADA Amazonia aquasoil, there will be crazy amounts of ammonia being released, so water changes are an essential task to help keep the tank's nutrient content in balance.

If you have alot of plant mass from the start, like the way Amano plants his ADA gallery tanks (ie. every square inch of the substrate filled completely with lots of plants), then the high starting plant density will usually soak up most of the newly released nutrients, so no need to do as many water changes.

But if you are like the rest of us that start with few plants and have to slowly add in more plants over time and wait for them to grow out, then its a good idea to do more water changes to reduce the amount of excess nutrients and help slow down algae growth.

Don't worry about the beneficial bacteria as very little of them are in the water column, they live attached to the filter media, soil and tank surfaces, so water changes wouldn't remove the majority of them.

As for the cloudy water, its most likely just bacteria bloom and is a very common occurrence in new tank setups (especially if you added those bacteria solutions), it should clear up on their own once the bacteria population stabilizes.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My friend hates cloudy water, so he keeps on changing the water with clear tap water every couple of days.
    But still, the water becomes cloudy the next day, lol.
    He always ask me how come my water always becomes clearer and clearer. I never use any chemicals.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How any advice as have been cycling the tank for 1 and a half month yet the tank still not cycle.ammonia still reading 0.25ppm.
    tank 5x2.5x2.5
    lighting 6x80w on for 7hours aday
    inline diffused co2 for 6 hours aday
    alternate days dosing of fert
    weekly 50% wc
    plant quite densely plant and inside have faunas all are doing well.is it the Ada soil problem?as I'm using 10packs of 9l soil.as anyone can advise what I'm doing wrongly?and water also quite cloudy but not green water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since the ammonia levels are already getting quite low now, its an indication the cycle is probably close to being completed... might just be another week or two.

The cloudy water also indicates that the bacteria population is still not stable yet. It'll clear up once the tank is cycled.

Your tank simply has alot of aquasoil so the ammonia being released is also alot, it'll just take abit longer to be converted by the bacteria and used up by the plants.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com