Country
    Singapore

Switching from T5 to LED light.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all experience Bro,

I have just upgraded to a 5ft Cichilds tank for about 3 months now. All are stable and running well. I am using 3 cannister filters for the filtration total 4000l/hr (10X of 400liters).

For lighting, I'm using standard Aquazonic 2 tube T5 lighting. Last week, the family suggested to convert to LED after a visit to a fellow hobbist. But the one he has is expensive.

I need assistance on the following:

a. The LED tube sold at AilExpress for S $20 for 15 wattage is it good?
    b. If so, how many pieces do I need for my 5ft?
    c. If to buy in Singapore, how much will it cost and where to buy?

Any other advice you can provide would help. I plan to upgrade before end of this month in preparation for CNY.

Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Switching from T5 to LED light.

What is your biggest motivation to change to LED? What is your budget?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mUAr_cHEe View Post
    What is your biggest motivation to change to LED? What is your budget?
    Since my tank is a cichlids tank, brightness and family request are my motivations. Just that the one we saw, the effect of Led is super. As for budget, lpwest possible. Need CFO approval lah. Hahaha.

Cheers,

Paul Low

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can check at Unicell shop at Sim Lim Square 2nd floor, they have a whole section with various LED tubes that can fit T5 casings... check their selections and prices before you decide to order from online (it may work out to a the similar cost), because for such long tubes, the shipping may cost more and if the lights happen to be faulty its a hassle to exchange with overseas seller.

Note that the retrofitted T5 LED light tubes will probably have a different brightness intensity and spectrum compared to the LED lights that the other hobbyist used on his tank (especially if its from those expensive brands), so just have to take into consideration the price vs effect.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 20th Jan 2015 at 20:25.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA,

As always, good to hear from you. Thanks for your suggestion, recommendation and advice. Appreciate it. I'm the one from Pasir Ris. You may remember I.e. the boulder rocks.

I remember that you mentioned and I agree that LED is for illumination only. If I do not plan to retrofit my T5, just use the LED tube directly. Do you think I will need 2 x 1meter tube for my tank? I plan to get the cool white light version.

Another question, should I just use the 1 meter version or get the 1.5 (full tank lenght) meter version?

Cheers,

Paul Low

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Low View Post
    I remember that you mentioned and I agree that LED is for illumination only. If I do not plan to retrofit my T5, just use the LED tube directly. Do you think I will need 2 x 1meter tube for my tank? I plan to get the cool white light version.

Another question, should I just use the 1 meter version or get the 1.5 (full tank lenght) meter version?
    If you buy the stand-alone T5 LED lightsets (which includes their own casing, cover and wire plug), then its better to buy the longer 1.5 meter version, so that you get complete light coverage across the whole 5ft tank.

2 x 1 meter versions can also work, there will be some overlap between them though, so the middle of the tank will be brighter than the sides (if thats your preference).

You'll need to find a way to mount those stand-alone light units though, they come with clips and magnet attachments, so i guess you can DIY a light stand for it.

Btw, i'm not really sure if those T5 LED lights at the shop are strong and bright enough to illuminate your tank length and height (compared to your current T5 lights), because the LED tube lights sold at electronics shops are usually designed to illuminate rooms or store signage (not specifically designed for aquariums), hence the intensity may not be as high... i guess you'll just have to test and see.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 20th Jan 2015 at 21:37.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com