Country
    Singapore

Shrimp Death After Spot Treatment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyc View Post
    I have not seen malayan eat bba too. Maybe muar chee mistaken the behaviour of Malayan shrimps like other shrimp do like to foilage very small pieces of food/ micro organism trap in bba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I haven't encountered that before... what algae treatment or spot treatment did you do that led to the shrimp deaths?
    These are from the other thread Does malayan shrimp eats black brush algae?

I did localized excel spot treat on some patches of BBA. I did these during the water change of my tank. The higher patches of BBA which were exposed to the air and treated with localized excel treatment subsequently turned purple to white and finally melted away. The lower patches of BBA which were still in the water also have the same treatment but application was done via dropper. I noted that the lower patches turned purple but did not turn white eventually.

Just to correct, I had Sakura shrimps in my tank and subsequently quite a number of them turned purple after 'working' on the lower patches of BBA and majority of them died subsequently with purple bodies. Previously in my thread, I did mentioned that I thought they had purple genes but it was wishful thinking on my end. In my defense, the shrimps held onto their purple colour and survived for a number of days (maybe about 4 days at most).

I seeked some advise elsewhere in the real world and the only diagnosis that I got it excel poisoning. I have my doubts as I was careful to only dose not more than the recommended volume required for my whole tank. In fact, much lesser than recommended. 5ml and even during a water change for a 324 litre tank.

I humbly seek your insights on my past episode.

Since then I have not been dosing excel as my most of my plants look like they are doing well except for my Marsilea quadrifolia which have their leaves 'whitening' and their stems turning 'purple/red'.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Death After Spot Treatment

I'm just guessing here... perhaps the purple/darker color in the shrimps could be due to elevated ammonia or nitrite levels generated from the mass die-out of the treated algae? or the oxygen level dropped due to the effects of excel? or maybe a higher concentration of excel solution lingered around the algae (especially in areas with low flow and dead-spots) and the shrimps might have hung around those areas abit too long and somehow absorbed the excel?

Its quite strange though, as i would guess a 300+ liter tank like yours should have plenty of water volume to dilute the effects of the relatively small ratio of excel easily.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Death After Spot Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Its quite strange though, as i would guess a 300+ liter tank like yours should have plenty of water volume to dilute the effects of the relatively small ratio of excel easily.
    Precisely.

But you might also be right about 'lingering' I noted that water flow is a little weak in some of the lower parts of my tank.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.