Thread: Enclosed Bio Filtration System

Feedback Score

Enclosed Bio Filtration System

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Besides Internal Overflow System(IOS) and Canister Type System(I don't like hose hanging outside my tank), what other types of Bio/mechanical filtration system are available and suitable for a enclosed planted tank?

TIA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Enclosed Bio Filtration System

For an enclosed planted tank of 'normal' dimensions, a canister filter or a hang on filter would work better.

Photo Courtesy of Google Images.

But if your tank is bigger in dimension, probably about 5 feet and above, it might be more efficient to run an overflow/sump filter system in my opinion.

There are many other filtration systems but most of them would not be so suitable for planted tank set ups: internal filter, sponge filter, top filter, undergravel filter.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Exciting Fishy Life My Other Not So Exciting Fishy Life My Non-Fishy Life

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score

Cool. Hangon filters looks like a very good option.Thanks Desmond for sharing.

Which are the popular brand/model available in Singapore? Fluval C series?

I'm thinking of 60x45x30cm (LxBxH) tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

There are many kinds that are popular in Singapore but it depends on what you are keeping in your tank.

There is the popular GEX slim ones but those are running with a pump in the tank, it may not be suitable if you are intending to keep shrimps. There is also 'Ocean-free' which is an in-house brand of Qian Hu. the OF ones has it motor in the filter and if the inlet is used with the supplied sponge, it should be no problem to be used in a shrimp tank.

There are also many other more established brands that has a variety of usages.

How about running a small mini canister? You can check out the Shiruba ones. Those are really interesting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, I would have some trimmings to give away in exchange for a can of Milk Coffee. PM me to deal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there, Although I will not recommend a hangon filter for a 2 ft tank, if you insist, you may want to check out the Fluval C series hangon filters. I am using it currently for my 1 ft tank and it is quite good and reliable.

Feedback Score

Yes, I like the Fluva design. The GEX slim filter also looks very good. I was doing a Google search for other hang over filter systems. Theres one that do surface skimming also;
    http://reviews.drsfostersmith.com/20...ws/reviews.htm. Interesting. :-) Anyone using it?

BTW, I'm just curious; for Fluva C series filter, it seems the motor is bottom external attached to the filter media sump, will it leak water over time?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The ocean free one that I am using does come with a surface skimmer as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I using Shiruba X303. Very good ! Slient. Can be hanging or normal cansiter type.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have used the Fluval C2 for about 6 months without issues. Most hangon filters with external motor can be twisted and removed. Therefore, leaking should be very rare. A side that the inlet for Fluval is FAT, which does not allow you to fix up the SS mesh to prevent baby shrimps from being sucked in. But still I will go for Fluval brand as compared to GEX and OF due to its reliablitiy and friends experience.

For a 81 litres tank that you mentioned earlier, getting the C4 at 900L/hr is best with you being able to adjust the speed lower.
    *note: A canister is still better for 2ft tank.

Feedback Score

How many settings are there for flow control in the Fluval C4? I remember seeing only 2 setting; min/max for C2. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It is sliding knob that allows you to adjust the opening size. Therefore, the setting is not a fix setting but a variable setting. I believe most hangon function this way but maybe with different way to adjust the gap.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

One of the shortcomings with hang-on filters is the fixed flow direction of the output ramp... and when the tank's water level drops below the outflow ramp, the water just dumps directly downwards and creates a hole in the substrate, thereby changing the circulation pattern.

Maybe you can also consider a hybrid type hang-on filter that incorporates the adjustable outflow pipe of a canister filter (and the higher filter media volume) with the convenience of a hang-on design.

Here are some examples:

Totto

Source: http://www.gcshop-sg.com/learn_v.php...3&topic=5&ar=2

Top Aqua V-EF-360

Source: http://www.top-aqua.com/
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score

Hi Urban Aquaria, Thanks for sharing all these wonderful options. :-)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used to buy the biggest hang-on filter I can find, usually those with double chambers for media.
    But since I still found them too small, nowadays I make my own filters. I particularly like top filters
    as these have greater capacity for a lot of media. For me, the more media the better. Of course
    then I'll have to ensure that the resulting abundant bacteria colonies have enough nutrients and
    oxygen to survive.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

HI urban aquaria,

do you know where I can find that Top Aqua filter?
    Formally known as EpiCentre in AQ

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aquaSynthesis View Post
    HI urban aquaria,

do you know where I can find that Top Aqua filter?
    So far, i've seen that hang-on canister filter model available in stock at LFS like C328, Seaview and Aquatic Avenue.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why is GEX Slim filter unsuitable for shrimp tank? it's very silent, and i've been using it for my shrimp tank, no issues with shrimps' condition...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rakurime View Post
    Why is GEX Slim filter unsuitable for shrimp tank? it's very silent, and i've been using it for my shrimp tank, no issues with shrimps' condition...
    Its okay for use in aquariums, i used a set before a few years ago too... just that the GEX slim filter has its motor and impeller mounted inside the tank (instead of outside like other hang-on filters), so there is a much larger filter part in the tank that is more visible, and the submerged motor unit transfers heat into the water, hence contributing to increased temperature in the tank. The power cord also needs to go into the water too, so it's yet another item that's visible in the tank.

Nowadays there are similar slim filters from other brands (ie. Ocean Free, ISTA etc) which have the compact slim design but the motor is mounted outside the tank, so those are able to reduce the unit visibility and heat transfer issues.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Its okay for use in aquariums, i used a set before a few years ago too... just that the GEX slim filter has its motor and impeller mounted inside the tank (instead of outside like other hang-on filters), so there is a much larger filter part in the tank that is more visible, and the submerged motor unit transfers heat into the water, hence contributing to increased temperature in the tank. The power cord also needs to go into the water too, so it's yet another item that's visible in the tank.

Nowadays there are similar slim filters from other brands (ie. Ocean Free, ISTA etc) which have the compact slim design but the motor is mounted outside the tank, so those are able to reduce the unit visibility and heat transfer issues.
    Hmm i was about to consider Gex slim SS filter for my 7L tank. I used Dophin H80, shiruba P60, none really can last and space for bio-media. Which brand and type is good for 7L tank? My max width is not exceeding 12cm and hopefully lotsa space for bio media,

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Hmm i was about to consider Gex slim SS filter for my 7L tank. I used Dophin H80, shiruba P60, none really can last and space for bio-media. Which brand and type is good for 7L tank? My max width is not exceeding 12cm and hopefully lotsa space for bio media,
    The Gex Slim SS hang-on filter would be suitable... though there is the issue of its motor being submerged into the tank, and your tank is only 7 liters, so a higher percentage of space would be taken up and it'll heat up more of the small water volume.

An alternative is the ISTA Slim 180 hang-on filter, i use that for my smaller quarantine tanks and it works well, it has a slim profile but yet can hold more bio-media (compared to the P60 or H80), and the motor and impeller are mounted outside (like the majority of hang-on filters), so no issues with taking up tank space and heat transfer.

The only issue i find with such larger hang-on filters is that their higher flow rates tend to be too much for small tanks (especially those below 10 liters), so even when tuned to their lowest flow setting, its usually still like a washing machine in there. I guess you'll just have to try additional ways to further slow down and diffuse the current.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast