Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Where to buy pre-tied, pre-grown moss driftwood tree?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Where to buy pre-tied, pre-grown moss driftwood tree?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

As per subject, is there a speciality LFS that sells matured driftwood trees with nice lush crown? Or do I have to tie my own and wait it out to grow?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where to buy pre-tied, pre-grown moss driftwood tree?

Hey I do have one that's not tied, but loosely placed on top of it, what's your budget?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can check at places like Seaview... at the back area with all the larger fish tanks, they have a retail plant tank with moss on tree-like wood structures for sale.

Alternatively, check with juilian75, he has recently posted quite a few ready-grown fissidens on bonsai trees for sale too. Here is his link: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ai-amp-branchy
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SwordZ View Post
    Hey I do have one that's not tied, but loosely placed on top of it, what's your budget?
    Thanks Bro SwordZ. I've pm'ed you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    You can check at places like Seaview... at the back area with all the larger fish tanks, they have a retail plant tank with moss on tree-like wood structures for sale. Alternatively, check with juilian75, he has recently posted quite a few ready-grown fissidens on bonsai trees for sale too. Here is his link: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ai-amp-branchy
    Hi Bro UA, I've looked at Seaview and OTF actually. Both don't have what I had in mind. But the link to Julian's post.. Oh myyy.. the branchy bonsai fissidens are a beauty! Thanks for the referral. I've whatsapped him

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, just an update on my search results. Julian no more stock, so I ventured around the LFS in the east again. This time at OTF saw 2 pieces with a nice trunk and bought them with the idea to break/ saw off a branch and joining them to 1 tree. Bought some loose moss as well as the Ista glue there for this purposes.

However while exploring options holding the 2 pieces in my hands, discovered that they can be sort of 'merged' into this which looks somewhat tree like

Hence glued them at spots where both pieces touched and held them for about 2 minutes for the glue to set. To be safe, I set them out to dry overnight in an ikea box after misting the new 'tree' and then submerged it the next day. Put a couple of shrimps and an Ototo test if the glue was safe and they're still looking good after a few days.

Think the next step I'll do is see if I can tie some branches horizontally for the moss to attach to.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thats a smart DIY on the branches... looks good!

Most of those bonsai moss trees on the market are also made from gluing different branches together too and then filling the gaps with wood-colored/textured epoxy resins.

If you find that the super glue join isn't strong enough (as in it could come apart easily with abit of handling), can look at filling the gaps around the join with aquarium-safe 2-part epoxy glue or silicone to reinforce it further.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, you can try Fishy business also. I have seen some very nice one there.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Most of those bonsai moss trees on the market are also made from gluing different branches together too and then filling the gaps with wood-colored/textured epoxy resins.
    Really??? i didnt know..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks, will drop by take a look sometime this week, but most probably will stick to this 'tree'. I'm trying to attach some more loose pieces of driftwood as additional branches with moss glued on them. Will see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by zerofighterx101 View Post
    Really??? i didnt know..
    Yeah, if you manage to get a chance to check out those bonsai trees that have been available at places like Aquarist Chamber and Aquatic Avenue, you can see the branches are actually different pieces and all glued together with some sort of resin filler to create the arched "bonsai tree" shape, and the fillers are textured (perhaps with sawdust?) to resemble wood. There is a noticeable color difference between the branches and the filler resin when the tree is dry, but once submerged underwater for a while (and coated in algae film/moss) they start to look almost seamless. Its quite innovative.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, if you manage to get a chance to check out those bonsai trees that have been available at places like Aquarist Chamber and Aquatic Avenue, you can see the branches are actually different pieces and all glued together with some sort of resin filler to create the arched "bonsai tree" shape, and the fillers are textured (perhaps with sawdust?) to resemble wood. There is a noticeable color difference between the branches and the filler resin when the tree is dry, but once submerged underwater for a while (and coated in algae film/moss) they start to look almost seamless. Its quite innovative.
    I see,i will check it out.