Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ada amazonia /ammonia /new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    so on a whim, i tore down my recently setup tank due to algae infestation as well as trying to get things right. was using some no name brand of soil. as well as not washing out the culture medium from a pot of tropica's hemianthums before planting.

so, i was reading that ada amazonia leeches ammonia into the water.

i have some lifestock sitting in a pail right now. (8 hatchet fish, 4 corydoras pygmaeus. 8 dwarf shrimp. 8 boraras brigitae).

I also have:

1 vial of prodibio's prodigest (supposedly good for 15 days)
    http://www.prodibio.com/bacteria-tan...cal-filtration

API's quick start. (I've double dosed it for 25ml . dosage is 10ml per 38liter), the tank is 54 liters max. (so 53 liters is a good estimate))

---
    would you think its safe to reintroduce the lifestock after lets say 12 hours?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: ada amazonia /ammonia /new tank

oh forgot to mention, i'm using the large size gex hang on top filter. the filter media is biohome sintered glass and wool.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are using brand new ADA Amazonia aquasoil, it will usually release alot of ammonia for a few weeks to boost plant growth.

Even though you may be using a cycled filter and bacteria solutions, there will still be ammonia, nitrite and nitrate spikes over that period of time. So its usually not a good idea to add fishes back into the tank so soon... at least wait until the water parameters are fully stabilized before re-introducing the livestock (use a reliable test kit to confirm it, cannot just guess and assume).

In the meantime, you'll just need to keep the livestock in a separate tank for a while longer.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 19th Feb 2015 at 14:17.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

api quickstart seems to work.

day 12. doing 30% water change daily for the first 7 days. now around 2 days 30%.

ammonia 0 . gh 0. ph 6.8-7, kh 0 (going to up my seachem flourish pottasium to raise kh to 1), no2 =0, no3=sub 40ppm.