Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy API PImafix and Melafix

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anyone tried using both products before?
    I recently bought both to dose into my 2x1x1.5 ft plant tank because several of my fishes seem to be suffering from Fin rot and Fungus.

However The next few days a lot of my fishes has died. Mostly the neon tetra.
    From a population of 120 neons I now have 8?
    Any one have any experience with this product?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: API PImafix and Melafix

Have you follow the instruction of usage? I tried a few times and have mixed feeling but I have not enough such heavy casualties like yours

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think I overdosed a bit because i was mixing both Pimafix and melafix together. I'm unsure if i'm suppose to cut both quantities in half since I'm using both at the same time.
    But the funny thing is that only the tetra family fishes, i.e Neon tetra and the rummy nose tetra seem to be suffering the worst.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They can & recommended to be used together at full dose. I've used them with about 50% success rate.

I've found better success with Interpet products. They have something called Interpet number 8 - for fin rot & fungus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tetras (especially neon tetras) are alot more sensitive to medications and chemical treatments than other fishes... many products recommend lower dosages when treating tetras.

Fin rot and fungus problems are usually due to bad water quality or stress (ie. 120+ fishes in a 2ft tank will tend to generate high bio-load and result in polluted water conditions), so when medications are added in without improving the water conditions or reducing the bio-load, the environment becomes increasingly harsh for the fishes. Those that are weak will usually die off, usually the ones most affected are the tetras.

Perhaps in the future you should start with a lower dose of medications, like quarter dose on the first day, then move on to half dose the second day, if everything looks okay, then go for full dose the rest of the days, give the fishes more time to slowly adapt to the medications.

Using a drip barrel to slowly dose the medications into the tank over the course of a day helps too.

Not overstocking your tank and maintaining good water conditions will make a huge difference in recover rates, much more than just dosing medications.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah I think I should have slowly dose the medication. My tank is overstocked but there isn't an impact on bio load thou. I over filter the fish tank using a external canister built for 4ft on the 2 ft tank. Hence ammonia and nitrite is 0. Nitrate is below .5 ppm. In such a situation. This overstocking still cause stress?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes I would think it does due to the lack of personal space. I also experienced this before. Is this medication good? I would say so so. I've better results with salt and frequent water changes.
    My fishes were also wiped out few times before Neon Tetra and rummy and guppies....super sensitive. Fishes like girls. ....need to really give tender loving care.. .it also depends where the fishes come from. Some shops I buy fish...go back almost always total lost....even with care.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I can't add salt because its in a planted tank and i do not have a spare tank to treat them. Yes i don't really think this API Pimafix and Melafix is quite good.
    Any one has experience with Aquamedi Oxycure?
    Some people say its salt while others say its not. any idea?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fateddee View Post
    Yeah I think I should have slowly dose the medication. My tank is overstocked but there isn't an impact on bio load thou. I over filter the fish tank using a external canister built for 4ft on the 2 ft tank. Hence ammonia and nitrite is 0. Nitrate is below .5 ppm. In such a situation. This overstocking still cause stress?
    If your tank's main parameters look okay, then it looks like the tank cycle and filtration are able to handle the higher bio-load... the other causes could be overcrowding due to lack of space and elevated stress levels, not sure how to gauge those factors though, but i guess some fishes are okay with overcrowding while others don't fare so well.

Fin rot could also be due to injuries when the fishes nip at each other, and having alot of fishes crowded together puts them in closer proximity of each other, so the weaker ones might keep getting bullied by many others without chance of escape, hence getting injuries. Its could be difficult for them to hide and recover in peace due to the large population (everywhere they swim there are fishes), so they just keep degrading further. The fungus growths could just be secondary infections from a weakened immune system, and with the fishes being close together the infections spread faster too.

Its just my own personal perspective though, i try to keep my 2ft tanks bio-loads moderate so they usually house at most 20-30 small fishes... hence i guess 120+ fishes in a 2ft tank seems really crowded to me.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 14th Mar 2015 at 19:39.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

An alternative product you could try is Seachem Paraguard.

Injured fishes are highly susceptible to parasites and fungus, and paraguard treats all those issues including healing the wounds (fishes will normally heal on their own, they just need to ward off infections), so i use it as an all-in-one broad spectrum treatment (rather than buying many different bottles to treat individual problems). I've also found it to be one of the milder, less harsh medications too.

I've used it to treat sick and injured tetras before and so far i've managed to get 95% success rate (there will always be 1 or 2 fishes that are already too weak to save)... though i use the "low initial dosage and then slowly increase dosage" method, which takes abit more time, but makes a noticeable difference in increasing their overall survival and recovery rate.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Guys thanks for your input. I guess I was over ambitious in overstocking my tank. Lesson learnt.
    Will check out seachem paragard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

UA. Can u use seachem paraguard in a planted tank? With shrimps?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes when I started also tried all kinds of medication. Until someone showed me the power of salt. I also didn't know salt will kill plants. I salted my entire 2ft tank and all low tech plants ok leh.
    I will go see Paraguard as UA is my guardian fish angel....lots to learn from him. But bro 100 neon in a 2ft really alot. Also best to quarantine them before mixing in....you will never know. Even in an empty tank with sponge filter and their water also there will be fatality. Been there done that.
    Try 20 1st the up 10 each week. I reckon 2ft max will be 50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fateddee View Post
    UA. Can u use seachem paraguard in a planted tank? With shrimps?
    I've used paraguard in planted tanks with shrimps and snails... no issues encountered so far, filter bacteria also not affected either. I guess the key is gradual dosage acclimation.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yah I super overstocked the tank. But I guess now it's under stocked
    Thanks for the advice for seachem paraguard. Will check it out.
    I'm afraid to use pimafix and melafix already

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You need to provide more air when you dose pimafix and melafix, which requires you to add in addition air pump to provide more airw

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I had a fungus outbreak in my tank during its initial start up stage. Usually fungus outbreak is due to poor water quality. Yes I have also used primafix to treat the fungus with great success. It is a natural remedy if you read the bottle and it requires you to dose everyday for 7 days. Change 20-30%water then repeat the 7 day cycle dosing again if necessary. Trust me this is important because I saw results on the 4th or 5th day of dosing. I don't have tettas so I can't say what effect primafix has on them. but all my panda corys and upside down cat were cured of the fungus and tailrot.