Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Seachem Renew + Seachem Purigen?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem Renew + Seachem Purigen?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am having a mild case of algae bloom with cloudy water in my 121 liter tank for the past few days and it is also about time to do the monthly cleanup for my Eheim Pro 3.....

In my filter,I used the original filter media provided by Eheim and 2 packs of 6 months old used Seachem Renew...I am thinking of buying 2 new packs of Seachem Renew and using it with 2 packets form of Seachem Purigen in my Eheim Pro 3 after doing the monthly cleanup for the filter.Will that be a good idea?

Does C328 sell Purigen or Renew in packet form??Thanks in advance for the advice!
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 23rd Mar 2015 at 00:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Seachem Renew + Seachem Purigen?

C328 does sell the 100ml packs of Purigen now (the ones that are pre-packed in their original mesh bag), just check with them. The packs are usually hung up next to their main rack of small fish tanks.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    C328 does sell the 100ml packs of Purigen now (the ones that are pre-packed in their original mesh bag), just check with them. The packs are usually hung up next to their main rack of small fish tanks.
    But will putting 2 packs each of Purigen and Renew in my Pro 3 solve my problem of algae bloom? Water has been cloudy since last Wednesday.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    But will putting 2 packs each of Purigen and Renew in my Pro 3 solve my problem of algae bloom? Water has been cloudy since last Wednesday.
    Both will help adsorb a certain amount of excess organic compounds and nutrients in your tank, but you'll still need to do the other things to clear up the algae bloom... like clean the filter, do a series of large water changes, feed less, reduce light intensity/photoperiod, add more fast growing plants etc.

Do note that products like renew and purigen have a limited storage capacity, so you do need to change it regularly or else it no longer works (which is probably the case with your 6 months old renew packs, all already exhausted their capacity, renew only lasts for 4-6 weeks).

Purigen is better than renew as it can be recharged and reused (save the hassle and cost of having to keep buying new packs), so you might just consider replacing the renew packs with just purigen packs.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 23rd Mar 2015 at 13:12.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Both will help adsorb a certain amount of excess organic compounds and nutrients in your tank, but you'll still need to do the other things to clear up the algae bloom... like clean the filter, do a series of large water changes, feed less, reduce light intensity/photoperiod, add more fast growing plants etc.

Do note that products like renew and purigen have a limited storage capacity, so you do need to change it regularly or else it no longer works (which is probably the case with your 6 months old renew packs, all already exhausted their capacity, renew only lasts for 4-6 weeks).

Purigen is better than renew as it can be recharged and reused (save the hassle and cost of having to keep buying new packs), so you might just consider replacing the renew packs with just purigen packs.
    But how many Purigen packs should I put in my Pro 3?I heard about regenerating the packs but how to go about doing it? My tank is around 120 liters.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[attach=config]47686[/attach
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

But how many Purigen packs should I put in my Pro 3?I heard about regenerating the packs but how to go about doing it? My tank is around 120 liters.
    For the 120 liter tank volume, you could just use 1 pack and see how quickly it turns brown, it all really depends on your tank's bio-load. If the tank's bio-load or waste production is high, then using additional packs can help expand their capacity and extend the time it takes between recharges.

As for recharging the purigen packs, just follow the product instructions: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/Purigen.html

[attach=config]47686[/attach
    Yeah, look like you have a nice green water bloom there... seems your tank is also receiving lots of extra light from the surrounding windows too.

It usually requires alot of light and nutrients to get green water. I personally culture green water for my daphnia and fry grow-out tanks, and i have to really overdose lots of fertilizer and position the container in direct sunlight just to grow and maintain a constant supply of green water.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Almost forgot to mention... since you have green water in your tank and will be doing water changes. Instead of throwing the green water away, maybe you can start a separate daphnia culture tank and then use the green water to feed them. As the daphnia multiply, you can harvest them to feed the fishes.

Alternatively, you could also add freshwater clams or mountain/wood shrimps to the tank and they can help to filter and consume the green water algae too, its the ideal environment for these creatures.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So if I were to do water changes to get rid of the green water besides washing the canister filter, adding in the Purigen and Renew, how much water should I change?IMG-20150323-WA0010.jpg
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 23rd Mar 2015 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

So if I were to do water changes to get rid of the green water besides washing the canister filter, adding in the Purigen and Renew, how much water should I change?IMG-20150323-WA0010.jpg
    You can do a series of 20-30% water changes over the course of a few days to gradually reduce the nutrient levels... or if your livestock are hardy, can also just do larger 50% water changes to speed up the excess nutrient reduction.

Btw, i notice your tank is only using a small clip-on PL light (probably just for viewing the fishes?), so i assume you are relying on sunlight from the windows to illuminate the tank?

If thats the case, maybe consider drawing the window curtains to partially block out some of the sunlight and then use the PL light directed towards the background plants to help them grow (instead of sunlight just shining on the bare areas in front of the tank).
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 24th Mar 2015 at 13:21.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I only have platies, corydoras and glowlight tetras in my tank...Will doing 50% water changes over a few days kill them off?BTW, my plants are all fake haha.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I only have platies, corydoras and glowlight tetras in my tank...Will doing 50% water changes over a few days kill them off?
    It all depends on the health of your fishes... if you're not sure, then just do more frequent smaller water changes. It requires abit more work, but there'll be less sudden changes to the water parameters.

BTW, my plants are all fake haha.
    Haha, you should have mentioned that earlier... no wonder the tank get algae bloom.

I guess you can just think of it as algae taking up the role of live plants in the tank.

Without living plants in the tank, you'll just have to be more hardworking in order to stave off algae issues. You'll need to do more regular water changes and filter maintenance to manually remove nutrients produced by fish waste. Reducing bio-load and feeding helps too.

And since there are no live plants in the tank, then no need any light, algae will just use it to keep growing. Keep the windows shaded as much as possible.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

But are there any hardy aquatic plants that need only minimum light? Any recommendations cos I am a bit interested in keeping a few plants to fight off the algae?Just worried that my platies or tetras will go nibble the leaves of the plants.
    Last edited by RenesisTurbo; 24th Mar 2015 at 14:16.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

But are there any hardy aquatic plants that need only minimum light? Any recommendations cos I am a bit interested in keeping a few plants to fight off the algae?Just worried that my platies or tetras will go nibble the leaves of the plants.
    For your setup, i'd recommend water wisteria, its easy to grow and soaks up nutrients. Just replace your fake plants with them.

Floating plants would be suitable too, can use frogbits, salvinia natans/minima, dwarf water lettuce etc.

Although you could use sunlight to grow those plants, its a rather inconsistent light source (some days very sunny, some days overcast or raining).

For the purposes of soaking up nutrients, it'll be better to use your PL light to shine on the plants for 6-7 hours a day (set it on plug timer) so that they have a sufficient regular light photoperiod to photosynthesize and consume the nutrients to grow.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Floating plants or wisteria could be bought at places like C328 or any LFS right? How to explain to the shop owner the kind of plants I want?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Floating plants or wisteria could be bought at places like C328 or any LFS right? How to explain to the shop owner the kind of plants I want?
    Yeah, C328 sells those plants too... their packs are not labelled though, so you'll need to google the plant photos online for reference (or ask the shop staff and see if they can help ID for you).

Water wisteria are usually sold in pots submerged in plant retail tanks, or tied to wood emersed in packets (you can find those outside the shop on the walkway floor). Floating plants are usually kept in packets hung up outside the shop at the right side, or on the plant display trays.

Do note that the plants from LFS usually come with lots of hitchiking critters and algae, so you have to check and clean them well (its best if you can also do anti-critter and anti-algae treatments) before adding the plants to your tank.
    www.urbanaquaria.com