Country
    Singapore

Timer for Lights

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi
    I thinking of getting a timer for my lights. I'm going to Nature tmw to buy another light, selling away my 9W light. getting the same i got last two weeks from nature, 18W, so will give 36W for my 1.5ft tank, going for about 4W per gallon,want my plants to grow and bubble more. my concern now is the timer. can i hook up two lights to a timer with an adapter? is it done this way:
    1) hook up the timer to the socket.
    2) hook up the adapter to the socket of the timer
    3) then hook up the plugs of the lights

Does Nature sell timers, digital ones? easier to control. is it about $30 plus?
    thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes ray, its that simple... think u can check out those electricity shops in yr estate...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon,
    I remembered that once u posted a pic on the timers, can't find in the forum, trying to search for it, remember seeing that but don know where, can u post it for me? so 2 lights ca nbe hook up to 1 timer? no problem?

Feedback Score
    Raytan

U talking abt these?

However, these r not electronic ones, but they r cheaper, & easy to use...i use them. & yes, u can hook up 2 lights...just like simon said...& practically anything else dat u want, including ur solenoid, the fan, etc.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi NIzz,
    can't see the pic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Nizz,
    sorry, can see them now.
    how much does it actually cost, are they digital ones?

Feedback Score
    Hi Ray

The Theben brand is quite commonly found in a lot of lfs, & the pr range between $20 & $23 (sam yick=$30). It's not electronic...those wld cost >$30. If u try the shops like Best Denki & so on, they have it cheaper, but diff brand...but they all work the same.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nizz,
    So what's the difference? the electronic one and the other type? how many types?

Feedback Score
    Ray

Correction...the rite word shld be digital, & not electronic. There's basically 2 types...the mechanical, which is wat u see in the pic, & digital. In the mechanical one, there's actually a dial with some 'teeths' which u'd need to put into either an 'on' or 'off' state...each teeth denotes a block of 15mins...when the dial turns & the arrow points on the 'on' teeth...it'll allow current to run thru, & vice versa....

The digital ones wld require u to enter the times (as in 12.30pm)at which u want it to be on & off, & some of them even allows u to enter various sets of 'ons' & 'offs' according to the days of the week, etc...

Naturally, ppl go for the digital one because it's less prone to mechanical breakdown.

A well-known brand for making these timers is Diehl...go to any respectable hardware store & u shld at least find this brand.

Hope the abv clarifies some things for u...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks alot Nizz and Simon, will go and get it later. Both of you are a great help

Feedback Score
    U're welcome. Anytime...BTW, i believe nature sells the theben one. Can call him for price...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/28/2002 6:07:39 PM

Ray

Correction...the rite word shld be digital, & not electronic. There's basically 2 types...the mechanical, which is wat u see in the pic, & digital. In the mechanical one, there's actually a dial with some 'teeths' which u'd need to put into either an 'on' or 'off' state...each teeth denotes a block of 15mins...when the dial turns & the arrow points on the 'on' teeth...it'll allow current to run thru, & vice versa....

The digital ones wld require u to enter the times (as in 12.30pm)at which u want it to be on & off, & some of them even allows u to enter various sets of 'ons' & 'offs' according to the days of the week, etc...

Naturally, ppl go for the digital one because it's less prone to mechanical breakdown.

A well-known brand for making these timers is Diehl...go to any respectable hardware store & u shld at least find this brand.

Hope the abv clarifies some things for u...

Nizz
    ----------------
    I prefer the mechanical one anytime. I had an electronic one that can set on/off for each day of the week. It was so troublesome to set. And the maximum is 2 on/off a day!

For the mechanical ones, much easier to use. I use "TheBen" brand - a few of them. Cheap and good. Usual price about $20.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Juggler where did u get yours from?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    "TheBen" timer is quite common. I got mine from the nearby misc goods shop outside the LFS at Serangoon North Ave 1. But I think you can also check with Petmart.

If you willing to travel, my friend says he got it for $16 at:
    Choo Chiang Marketing Pte Ltd
    Blk 6007 AMK Ind Park 3 #01-430
    Tel : 4825922
    Email : [email protected]

Can check that out.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    someone said he saw theben selling at best denki taka for $16.90, but i've not checked that out myself.

theben is the only one i use around the house, for my budgies and fishtanks[] . yah, all other living things here, have better lives than humans!

i usually buy from the misc shop which is diagonally across petmart, for $20. think recommended selling price is $25, but some lfs selling at $28.

in amk ave 10, near the market nearest to ave 5, there's a hardware store selling for $18. it's a few shops from the 7-11.

i've tried another "brand", but could hear it ticking away... paid something like $17 from a neighbourhood hardware store in holland.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The timer that the guys (nizz, Jugler etc) mentioned is quite reliable and work well enuf for our planted tank. The shop exactly in front of Petmart is selling it at $20. The rest may be selling it around that price. I suggest you get it wherever you conveniently find it. No point a few bucks but waste time and money on transport.

Some timers do give out some ticking sound which did annoyed some of the hobbyist, but theben timers are silent. Digital would look much better but unless you got some $$$ to throw around, I say go for it. Performance wise, it wouldn't make much difference in our appliction.

Whatever timer you're getting (unless you're getting the super super cheapo ones), it will be ok to plug in more than one lighting fixture to it. In fact it will be quite enuf to support the lighting, filter, co2 solenoid of our tanks too.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]