Feedback Score

Tuning CO2 injection rate.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tank Dimension: 31x31x36cm (OF 34L)
    Soil: ADA Amazonia Soil (3L)
    Filter System: Internal Overflow System.
    Plants: Downoi, Staurogyne Repens, Rotala species, Pogostemon erectus, Hemianthus Glomeratus, Lysimachia Nummularia 'Aurea', HC Cuba as foreground carpet.
    Light Period: 10hrs.
    CO2 delivery system: ANS in-tank atomizer
    CO2 injection rate: 31/min -> ~ 0.5 bps
    Fauna: 10xGreen Shrimps and 1 Octocinclus
    Air Pump only turn on during lights off period.
    pH Reading: 6.0
    kH Reading: 3
    GH Reading: 5
    NH3/NH4+: 0.5 ppm (mg/L)
    Nitrite: 0.003 (mg/L)
    Nitrate: 10 (mg/L)

I'm still in the process of tuning my CO2 injection rate for my tank. After moving the atomizer position around my nano tank and adjusting the filter nozzle outflow direction, I've finally figure out the best position for maximum CO2 absorption and CO2 mist flowing around my tank. While my shrimps seems to be happy working hard at nibbling on my HC, I've noticed that my octo always try to station its head above the water level during lights on period as shown below. My CO2 checker is yellow and my HC is pearling. Am I injecting too much CO2 and my Octo is gasping? Is this normal behaviour for Octo? I plan to introduce a school of either Rasbora Brigittae or Ember Tetra into my tank next week. I'm hoping to get the CO2 inject rate right so that my TOBE introduced fishes can be safe.

Attachment 48220

Attachment 48221

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by stream; 26th Apr 2015 at 20:17. Reason: Inserted Picture were not rotated.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tuning CO2 injection rate.

Otos can gulp air from the surface and store it in their gut for use, that's a method they use to survive in low oxygen environments in their natural habitat, but usually they just swim up quickly, take a gulp and then swim back down.

If it is staying near the surface it's possible the gulps may not be enough and it could be trying to get more oxygen (different livestock have different reactions to varying oxygen levels).

It could also just be munching on the algae near the surface too. I guess you'll just have to continue monitoring it's behaviour.

At the same time just gradually reduce the injection rate in small amounts and adjust the injection period to see if you can reduce it while still maintaining good plant growth and pearling. Try to achieve a balance of efficient Co2 usage and optimal Co2 levels.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com