Images
    Country
    Japan

Fairy Shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i've looked up some threads on these and they all seem to be a freshwater species...so i'm wondering if th brine shimp we buy from the shops are the same thing but a saltwater kind?? obviously i think they are different species...is it like similar but just that one is freshwater and teh other salt??

Also...anyone know where to get the Freshwater kind?? i'm thinking of getting some...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    brine shrimp = artemia sp. not caradina sp.
    for fish to eat.

http://ut.water.usgs.gov/shrimp/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    any idea where i can get the freshwater kind?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what are you talking about? brine shrimp are saltwater (BRINE = salt)

if you want malayan shrimp, cherry, yamatos, those are normal shrimp (caradina sp.) that you can keep in fresh water.

brine shrimp are meant to be eaten by fish. if you want to feed them to your fish, you would strain out with a fine net before putting it in the fish tank, they should be able to stay alive and wriggling for an hour or more.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Hi...think we are misunderstanding each other...

yeah..i know what brine shimp are...but apparently there is a freshwater species as well...probably not the same genus or even family..but..i'm talking about Branchinecta conservatio the freshwater fairy shrimp...i want to buy some..so..asking where can find.

Anyone?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it's apparently endangered so i guess it'd be hard trying to find it here

http://sacramento.fws.gov/es/animal_...erv_shrimp.htm
    http://www.vernalpools.org/UCMerced/...es/species.htm

is this the one you're talking about? very nice

Fairy Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    i've looked up some threads on these and they all seem to be a freshwater species...so i'm wondering if th brine shimp we buy from the shops are the same thing but a saltwater kind?? obviously i think they are different species...is it like similar but just that one is freshwater and teh other salt??

Also...anyone know where to get the Freshwater kind?? i'm thinking of getting some...

I cannot confirm that this is the fairy shrimp, but i think you might find it of interest to you. This product is called Triops and the species name is also called Triops. They are selling it as educational kits (like sea monkeys) at little india MRT station. The shop is located in within the little india station though i cant remember the name. just go to the 1st gift shop in the little india MRT station and look. They also sell Sea monkeys or brine shrimp. A word of warning however, i did some sourcing on these creatures and believe they are highly aggressive and carnivorous. So make sure not to add them directly to your shrimp tank as they might kill shrimps smaller then thier size (1 inch) you should breed them seperately and add shrimps to test if they will kill or not. I also read that their life span is only about 90 days. Wish you sucess and if you do buy them pls post a thread on your discovery with them thanx in advance.